How much breast milk should I feed my 9 day old baby?

Baby is fully on breast milk (I pump and bottle feed). In the 1st week I increased 5ml every day. Today I’m giving her 70ml per feed. Is this too much or alright? She tolerates it well currently and I plan to continue increasing 5ml everyday but I’m afraid her stomach is still too small. FYI baby girl’s weight is 2.5kg (last checked at 6 days old).

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I cant rmb how much i was feeding my ger previously but there is actually a calculator for this for reference. I think the whole day intake is 150ml x baby’s current body weight. There was one period she kept on wanting to suck on stuff and we tot she was hungry n kept feeding. Luckily we went pd and pd said we r overfeeding. We did not add on 5ml every day fyi. Recent visit we asked pd when shld we increase and she said when baby starts to fuss ard 2-2.5h or smth then we may want to increase. Of coz different ppl differ.. so sharing for info only :)

Read more

I would suggest feed on demand. Babies would drink whatever’s given to them even if they’re full. Be careful about this. Sometimes they can projectile vomit when too full and all the milk fed will be a waste. Mine did cause I was feeding her everytime she cries, first time mummy so I didn’t know her cues yet. My gynae says babies stomachs are the size of their own fists so do make sure you do not over feed.

Read more

I fed my gal 60ml when she was 1mth old. I use to feed her every hr or 2 till I brought her to tcm and they told me although she can drink her milk but she's having indigestion and I've overfed her. which cause her to regurgitate milk. your baby may be able to stomach the milk but you may be overfeeding.

Read more

feed by demand and direct latch on the 1st month, unable to tell quantity, each feed about 10-15mins. baby was 3.1kg growing well at 7+kg when turning 5months 70ml sound a lot to me as my girl drink 60-80ml every 2hours when she was 2-3 months and 80-100ml every 2hrs at 3-4months

My baby boy weight 2.5kg. also fully breastmilk bottle feed. The first week start at 40 to 50ml (slowly increase) 2nd week increase to 60ml, 3rd week increase to 70ml. Now he will cry for more. I felt if the baby tolerate, then we can increase:)

TapFluencer

Some babies can take more then give more when they fry for milk. Mine has small capacity but she keeps wanting to suckle so I introduced pacifier because her reflux issues are bad.

VIP Member

I remember I feed about 60-70ml as my son was born big so the nurse was feeding him 30-45ml during 1-3 days

VIP Member

50 to 60 ml every 2 hours