Pregnancy insurance?

Hi Ladies, is it recommended to buy pregnancy insurance ? Does anyone have experience to share please?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I bought from AIA. I developed pre-eclampsia post-pregnancy and baby had to undergo phototherapy due to jaundice. I was hospitalised for 6 days after I gave birth due to my complication which I didn’t have any problems with during pregnancy. Below I’ll break it down for you so you can decide if you need maternity insurance or hospital insurance more. My total bill size alone was $11,526 (excluding baby) and Govt grant was $7242. I had to pay cash of $4284 which was absorbed by my hospital plan with AIA. My baby’s hospital bill was $2053, Govt grant of $980. Balance was deducted by husband’s Medisave. I was given $900 cheque for my daily hospital stay. My pre-natal visits amounted up to $1178 in total which I was informed by most parents in here that it will be reimbursed back to my Medisave. However I got a cheque of $1178 instead as it was absorbed by my hospital plan. At first I bought maternity insurance because I thought it would cover for pregnancy complications or after birth complications but boy was I wrong. Pre-eclampsia is only covered when you develop it BEFORE birth, after you purchase your maternity insurance. That’s what my agent told me. I seriously don’t understand how it works but lucky for me with or without the maternity insurance, I didn’t have to fork out a single cent at all. Instead I received some cash in hand. All covered by my hospital plan instead of maternity. You may want to clarify with your agent about everything before you sign up for any kind of maternity plan. If you haven’t gotten a hospital plan, I would suggest you take one now before any medical condition arises (if you have none at the moment). My agent showed me legit bills of his clients (particulars removed) for the pregnancy complications that they were able to claim using their maternity insurance. So do clarify properly with your agent ok? After I gave birth, I transferred my maternity insurance to my baby as a life plan and bought hospital + accident plans for her as well.

Read more