I've been trying to feed my baby in a bottle using breast milk, just to give my wife some time for relaxation when I'm at home. But, my baby doesn't like drinking from the bottle. Can you give me some tips on how to do it correctly? Btw, my baby is 4 months old.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You just have to keep trying until she takes the bottle. What many parents do is they buy a variety of different teats and see what baby takes. I'm more of a different parent. I'll try till you take this teat. My girl is 6 months and has refused the bottle since about 3 months old. I have since been latching her and in the recent few weeks reintroduced her to the bottle. When she takes the bottle from my mum over the weekends I'm usually out of the house or my husband dream feeds at night. After about 2 weeks of bottle feeding during the weekends she's slowly getting used to it and taking the bottle well. Now she drinks even when I'm around. Otherwise the Lock n Lock bottles have been receiving a lot of attention lately for babies who reject bottles. You could probably give it a try.

Read more
Post reply image

My best friends had the same problem with their newborn son and they finally realised 2 things : 1) When feeding with the bottle, mommy needs to be far far away. Apparently baby knows when mommy is around, there is no need to settle for the bottle because the real thing is readily available (smart!). My friends' son eventually got used to it and mommy doesn't really need to leave the room anymore because when daddy does the feeding, he knows it's going to be from the bottle. 2) "The bottle needs to feel like the real thing" was what they found out as well. To cater to the baby's discerning palate (haha), they tried, upon the recommendation of others, the Medela Calma bottle and it worked wonders!

Read more

i think you can try the following and see if it works :) 1. make sure that you are in a separate room with baby and the door is closed, so that baby cannot see, hear and definitely not smell mom :) 2. you can keep using the same teat and eventually your baby will get used to it, as changing too many teats can actually confuse baby. if you don't want to wait too long, then go ahead and try out a few different types of teats to see which one baby prefers the most. 3. feed your baby when baby is not too sleepy, cranky or hungry, as it will help a lot when baby is in a good mood. it will also let you connect well with your little one.

Read more
VIP Member

My baby used to suckle very well from both bottle and breast. I heard a lot about nipple confusion, so I used a variety of bottles (Tommee Tippee, Medela Calma, Pigeon, Avent Natural, Spectra, MAM). One fine day, she just went on a bottle strike. You can continue finding a bottle suitable for your baby, but it might cost a lot. I've heard Comotomo and MAM are good brands. You can test those bottles to see if your baby likes it. Sometimes, the problem lies with the teats. You can also try changing to a different level teat and see if it works.

Read more

Thanks a lot Stephanie! I'll apply your tips this weekend!

thanks