reaction to solid food

im very upset with myself. I fed my son nestum brown rice with milk for the first time today. now there are red patches all over his body. ? we did skin prick test yesterday and the result to milk is borderline. sighz.. ?any recommendations what shud I feed him?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hey mummy, don't be so hard on yourself - no parent would want to intentionally cause any harm to their children and you just wanted to let him try something new :) You can try giving fresh purées instead, my son hates processed foods for some reason (my parents say he has a keen palate for fresh food haha) so he was never a fan of cereals, food pouches, jars etc - I also think it's a better option whenever possible! Depending on what kind of weaning you'd like to do, you may also look into baby led weaning if you'd like - but that's a whole other area to explore :) In the meantime, just take it easy on the food you give him and try things one ingredient at a time for 3 days in a row to check for any reactions - it helps to keep a list so you can start mixing the flavours up and yet be assured that he wouldn't have any allergy reaction that you can't identify :) Remember that any type of solid food below 1 years old is just for fun, the main source of nutrients is still from milk!

Read more
VIP Member

Try to prepare your own purée for him. Actually it’s quite easy, doesn’t take a lot of time. And if we prepare the food on our own, at least we know what we are putting into the food. Store bought ones usually contains a lot of sugar too. I used to prepare my girl’s meals also. I didn’t let her eat outside food till she was past 1 then i started letting her try bit by bit of outside food. You can consider getting a baby food maker like beaba babycook. Really worth the money! Can just put the ingredients and add water to steam. Once done steaming, just use the same machine to blend can already. If your LO can’t finish the food, after that can still reheat. Everything also use the same appliance, can minimise the amount of dishes you need to wash. It’s also very easy to use. Now on promo also, really worth the buy! https://welovesupermom.com/products/be113tbabojxbfsgamz-134341847-beaba-babycook-solo-3-colours-available

Read more
Post reply image
5y ago

thanks for the recommendation. im curious how do we prepare bb food when we are gg holiday? the puree can last for few days?

VIP Member

its ok. the body will process it out. dont be alarmed if your baby hv diarrhoea. try carrot, apple, pear, pearl rice, avocado, baby cereal, papaya, banana, bayam vege, first. these are less prone to allergy.

Don't feel too bad! At this stage it's better to use a puree of fruit or vegetables as at around 6 months the gut is still developing. Well done for doing the skin prick test!

how old is your son now? maybe try not to mix with milk and see if any reaction? I fed my son when he was 8mths old and he loved it!

5y ago

maybe wait a few months later to see if same reaction. If still have red patches, stop giving him that coz there may be some ingredients in the contents that don't go well with him.

VIP Member

Maybe u can start with pure vegetables or fruits puree instead? Since it’s 6 months old, their guts maybe still building.

VIP Member

thanks mummies for the advise. 😍my other 3 kids doesnt have such problem therefore I tot this will be the same too.

VIP Member

threadfin fish, cod, also less prone to allegy. do avoid egg and bread bought from bakery, they contains eggs too.

Don't be so hard on yourself, mummy! I'm sure the doctor will be able to prescribe some anti-allergy meds.

VIP Member

how old ur child?? 6mths i start with veg/fruit puree 8mth i start with rice cereal