Workout

Hi! im in my 6 weeks now. I workout alot before pregnancy (lifting weights and cardio) but when i found out im pregnant, i stop working out and switch to yoga instead. Is it safe?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's okay! Listen to your body. You'll know when it's uncomfortable. I'm active throughout my pregnancy from 4 weeks onwards and I only cut down after 34 weeks to try to boost my baby's weight (which is on my own accord, gynae didn't say I need to do that). I still played badminton in first tri. I did a mixture of strength training with weights swimming and cardio hiit that are pregnancy -friendly. Yoga was too low intensity for me and I only did yoga once a fortnight all the way till late pregnancy. That being said, everyone's body changes differently during pregnancy. I changed to baby weights (7lbs and below) and took breaks whenever I feel too tired or out of breath. I've omitted kettlebell training from the onset cause it didn't feel good for me and I had a tiny bit of spotting after carrying heavier weight so I got cautious. You'll know when to stop :) If you're unsure, you can check with your gynae :) Sometimes they might point out contraindications for exercises, like placenta previa. From what I understand that may involve complete pelvic rest and no yoga too. Whenever I check, my gynae told me that exercises are okay but just keep them low impact. I have come across a mum who is a personal trainer and still lifted weights throughout her pregnancy, you can find her on instagram under the handle Limaran agustina. She also trains expectant mums :) She might be able to give you better suggestions. I also took reference for some cues- Pregnancy exercise: Warning signs to slow down or stop https://www.babycenter.com/0_pregnancy-exercise-warning-signs-to-slow-down-or-stop_7818.bc

Read more
VIP Member

If you used to work out a lot you can still continue to do lifting weights and cardio but just need to be extra careful maybe not too heavy? I still continue my cardio til 6 months preggy then my gynae ask me to stop 😂

Super Mum

Yoga is good throughout pregnancy! However you should find an antenatal yoga course or inform the yoga instructor you're pregnant, because some positions are not suitable for pregnant ladies

Yeah yoga is good too, there's actually some workouts safe for pregnant women on Youtube. Checkout Hasfit, just search for pregnancy workout

You can prenatal yoga that is gentle enough for all trimester. This video is one of them. Hope it helps :) https://youtu.be/7cneUi0fsPI

VIP Member

Yes, can do some prenatal yoga as some positions eg lying on back, bending backwards etc sound be avoided

Listen to your body :) not too strenuous and yoga should be good

I was doing zumba till i was 33 weeks. Listen to your body..

It’s alright. Just listen to what your body wants.

VIP Member

I think some yoga positions may not be safe