Checking For Down Syndrome

Hi, I'm a first-time inexperienced mum and has some questions. I am scheduled for a counselling and blood test session for down syndrome (optional test) on the 12th week and was told to go for scanning on the 13th week, similarly for down syndrome. Can someone explain why I need to go down to KKH twice for blood test and scanning to check for down syndrome? Would I be able to know the results immediately after the scanning? Is there anything that other experienced mums out there could share with me too, e.g. How is the blood test like? Many thanks in advance!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I just did mine last week. They’ll put you through a 10-15mins session of a flip chart explaining the 3 chromosomal abnormalities that they can test you for. Then they’ll explain to you the various procedures, First Time Screening (FTS), Non-invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT), Amniocentesis. Or something along the like. Then you can ask how’s the costs like. I did the FTS where they did a screening for the baby on the same day, to check nose bone, length of baby, heart rate, bones in arms and legs and the check behind the neck. Everything looked normal and there was even a visible nose bone and a normal neck. After that you wait for a while and another doc will see you and you can immediately see your scan results for Down Syndrome whether it is high or Low risk. Mine was Low risk BUT I haven’t do my blood test before my FTS so doc said it was not final results and must wait for the blood test results still. So I went and did my blood tests after that on the same day also, and they took 4 tubes to check for other abnormalities like Thalassemia, Rubella, HIV, etc. They said if you’re high risk, they’ll call you in 3 working days. For this appt, I paid $285.50 in total, subsidised rate. 😭 Anxiously waited for the call, today my worst nightmare happened. I got a call from KKH saying I’m at a high risk but not so much though so they advised me to go for further testing which costs $375+ and I don’t think I’ll go for it cause regardless of the test, I’m still going to keep the baby. There are many mummies out there who did not go for the test at all, so it depends on you actually. Good luck and take care!

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for giving such detailed explanation! You are one noble mummy!

VIP Member

Yup mine was also similar.. blood test and scans done on different day.. they need to compare the scan results and ur blood test before showing u the final outcome.. the result will b explained to u on the same day u take the scan.. blood test is like any other blood test la a few tubes

4y ago

Thanks for sharing! Appreciate it!