Hospital leave

Im currently under KKH, will be changed to private gynae at 35 weeks, still under KK. Those mummy that got HL before their EDD from their gynae, were you given from the date of your visit or the start date of HL was be given in advanced ? Like the start date of HL is a week after your hospital visit #FTM

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Typically HL will start on the date u see ur gynae or the day after. As the doctor is answerable to the reason for the HL. For e.g, ur HL is due to mom's chronic asthma as she shows signs of breathlessness tt had went on for days. So there's no reason for him to give HL 1 wk later. Tt's how my gynae explain to me. I understand the predicament of working mothers, we need to inform our workplace in advance. So my gynae gave a letter first stating my medical condition and the possibility of being put in bed rest, depending on the situation in the coming few weeks. This shld be given during the previous appt. So tt the next appt, ur doc can straight away give the HL. I'm not sure if there are gynaes who can give 1 wk in advance cz so far my friends also only get HL on the day of the appt. Also do note tt being in private doesn't mean u cld get HL easily. I have colleagues whose gynae cldnt give HL even when they're in pte right frm the start. So far I heard of 2 such situations, both under KKH pte. Those in pte hospitals seem to get it easier and longer HL too. I had 4 wks HL prior to birth frm Parkway East due to asthma. Another friend had 6 weeks frm Mount E Orchard due to low blood pressure.

Read more

I requested for a week in advance as I still had to prepare for my handover for work a week prior to my HL (Gynae went ahead with request). Many mentioned that it’s easier to get HL at private clinics as compared to govt but it was not the case for me. I was having contractions at week 34 and also showing early signs of labor but gynae refused to give me HL because she said I’m fit to work (from home on a computer) despite me telling her that my body was in pain. Eventually I went home with only 2 days MC.. and the week after, my contractions were getting too frequent hence I emailed the gynae / front counter to request for HL, but was only given 2 weeks of HL although my csect was scheduled 3 weeks later. So i had to still apply for my annual leave for the last week before surgery.

Read more
9mo ago

I guess it really depends on the gynae, your job scope and medical conditions too. My SIL also didn't get HL at 34 weeks despite having low lying placenta as she has the option of WFH. She was only granted at 36 wks. For me, I got frm 33 weeks as being a teacher to young pri sch students I need to be on my feet for at least half of the day exc CCA and any other afternoon classes. My blood pressure was also on the high side and had very bad edema.

I was in similar situation as you - changed to private gynae at KKH at 35 weeks+- and got my HL of 3 weeks on the same day of my first visit as a private patient as I was experiencing pelvic pain. Ended up I delivered naturally 1 week after HL was given lol