my baby is 5mo+ ..& cant sit without support yet, can we still put him on a high chair? As high chair has back support as well as arms support. He is able to sit at the bath tub with both hands holding on to the sides of the bath tub...but if put him on the mat/bed he will lean forward using his hands to support his body...sometimes topple and its not a upright position.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what I've read, sitting is a developmental milestone that baby will meet typically around 6 months of age. But as with all development, every baby is different and some may be earlier or later. Quite a few of my friends mentioned that their babies were still learning to sit unsupported after 7 months. You may find this article useful to help encourage your baby to sit on his/her own: http://day2dayparenting.com/help-baby-sit-up-independently/ Mentioned in the article are some precursor skills that baby has to master before he/she could attempt to sit without assistance. For example, strong neck and back muscles to allow baby to hold his/her head steady, and rolling for good trunk muscles. The article provides a list of useful tips how one could help develop the muscles and positions to help baby pick up sitting. Hope this helps!

Read more
8y ago

this article is great! thanks for your response! so can i try placing my baby on a high chair to help train muscles since he can sit up with support?

VIP Member

I let my baby sit on the highchair from 5 months. She can't exactly sit up straight but I let her play around in the chair so when we start her at meals in her 6th month she will already be comfortable with the chair

8y ago

thanks! im just afraid it may hurt her back...but seems fine ya? i saw some babies cant sit without support yet also on the high chair..as high chair has back and arm support..so i guess its safe? thanks for your reply!

Most recommend waiting until a baby is 6 months old before using a high chair.

VIP Member

It’s normal at that age. Let bb develop by his own pace