Breathed in Incense Smoke by accident - help

I was leaving my workplace when I realised that just across the road from my workplace, there was a funeral and they had just started burning joss paper (those big pile in a cage). The surrounding area was completely covered in smoke. I had no choice but to walk past it because I needed to walk in that direction to get to the bus stop. Now I'm so worried because I read that the smoke can be harmful to baby. It was so thick I was like choking (but maybe also as I was wearing a mask but was afraid to take it off also.) I feel so helpless and frustrated now as I'm so worried I have harmed baby. It seems like no matter how hard I try I'm somehow always encountering such unlucky situations. Anyone had a similar experience especially during 7th month hungry ghost festival? What should I do?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I felt exactly how you feel .. I was paranoid… my house has altar and everyday there will be incense .. I get very frustrated … and my father in law bring me to temple once for some event, I sat there and they burn the joss paper , the smell and smoke was terrible .. I was also paranoid.. I couldn’t sleep 😅 but now I am in my 3rd trimester and all is well! So far so good! I tell myself “smell also smell already… other country have very bad level of air pollution they also don’t have a choice, they breathe in everyday but yet still have a healthy baby… so i occasionally smell should be ok.. 😁” Nowadays as much as i try to avoid even smokers, I don’t feel paranoid or frustrated anymore… I used to be at extend where i get paranoid even smelling cigarettes when i walk past smokers.. but now I just try to hold my breath as much as I can for that few seconds 😂 every little bit helps lah right😂 Also , I need to pump petrol every other day… I had to smell petrol , and I work in Tuas , the air is quite bad… initially I also paranoid but subsequently, as I move on to the late trimester , I got less fear and worry also because so far the scans have been goood which gave me a lot of positive booster as well! It’s very inevitable we get paranoid because the whole journey of pregnancy , we can only know if our baby is well when we go to the gynae which is only once a month… but I learnt to embrace myself ! So far all is good!

Read more
9mo ago

So long as pass cny dragon baby can Liao .. 😁😁😁😁 I keep telling my baby cooperate abit .. no matter what must tahan until after cny 😂 I also overthink de actually.. but I feel I am finally at last league Liao… just make sure baby kicking everyday, I drink enough water, take my vitamin… the rest beyond my control Liao 😂 I am not getting a CN.. becuase my husband say I can choose 1… I choose for a helper instead 😂 so I will do confinement myself.. what about u?

Agree with the other mummy, exposure is limited and shouldn't harm the baby. After all, you're filtering out the smoke first before it gets to the baby. Also, difficult as it may be, do try to relax. I feel that being constantly worried and stressed may affect your mental health and physical health as a result

Read more
9mo ago

thank you!! 😊

If you’re just walking past and the exposure is limited, I think it should be fine. Don’t overthink it and stress yourself further! Can bring along or wear a mask out next time ☺️

9mo ago

thank you for reply.. yes I was wearing a mask

it's not as if you stand there and smell for 2 to 3 hours right?it's gonna be okay, don't worry

9mo ago

thank you for your reply!! :)

Already inhaled, nothing you can do right? Should probably be fine. Maybe wear a mask?

9mo ago

thanks.... yup I was wearing a mask 😷