I want to start reading to my child. Any rules? How long should I start reading to her? She is 6 months old. Is it too early to start reading?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No matter what your baby's age, reading together is a great opportunity for cuddling andbonding. By developing a regular reading routine from the start, books become a natural part of your child's day — one that he'll associate with fun. Your baby may be fascinated by pictures with bright colors and sharp contrast, so get plenty of board books and picture books. The most important thing is that your baby is making a connection between the things he loves the most — your closeness and your voice — and books. This shows him that reading is enjoyable and important.

Read more
VIP Member

No, not too early for reading. You should read for at least 30 mins daily. When ur reading u should be expressive. Give the characters voices. Your baby is probably too young to understand the story but helping ur baby understand different sounds. When reading you should also point to the different pictures. You can name them, describe the Colour etc. It's the language experience that counts and not if they can understand what you say. Also use the opportunity for lots of hugs, giggles and laughter. This will set the right, happy mood for reading time.

Read more

I ever read somewhere and through personal experience , I can tell you that toddlers concentration span are short; so try short stories. Perhaps till they are much older, you can introduce longer stories. If long stories, you can try a few pages each day, increase as they grow older. It's definitely not too early to start. Actually what you do now is only to simulate their brains and to cultivate their interest. Doubt they will understand the story now!

Read more

At this age, your baby's vision has developed to the point where he can recognize quite a few images. You'll have fun introducing him to simple illustrations and bold photographs — if you can get him to sit still, that is. Older babies are always on the move, and they love to grab books and turn the pages. That's why experts suggest that you read to babies this age in three-minute increments several times throughout the day. 

Read more

nono. its nv too early to read to ur little ones. we started reading to my 11mth boy when he was jus 3mths haha although he dun understand but he could see the differ pictures in the book and he enjoyed it. now he would wan to take a book and see the picture by himself. try the hungry caterpillar book or the eric carle books its really quite a nice read especially THE GIVING TREE.

Read more

it is never too young to start... my husband started reading to our son when he was still in my tummy... and after birth we read to him every night before bed... there is never a time limit or frame to stick to.... and u can repeat the same stories after a few days.... now my son is 5yo... and he loves his bedtime storytime every night... :)

Read more

never too early. I read to my kids since Newborn. .. talk to them ... if you get b into routine the baby learns. also if they get agitated coz of short attention span is OK to stop reading. sometimes I just make up my own stories! ! kids love it! ! teaches them imagination when their older.. now my lots love making up stories to tell mommy. =)

Read more

Start to read to them as early as possible from small picture books slowly upgrade to short stories then a whole book... I started both my kids since birth even though they don't understand yet. Helps with their imagination, speaking and bonding. Now my kids love to read and bringing them to the library is also good

Read more
VIP Member

Reading can never be too early. You can start this good habit anytime you feel comfortable. However, in order for your child to enjoy reading better do choose books & materials that are suitable for her age. For a 6months old, I love to read cloth books with texture for the baby to explore her sense of touch

Read more

Brown University School of Medicine in Providence, Rhode Island, 18- to 25-month-olds whose parents said they had been reading to them regularly for a year could say and understand more words than those whose parents hadn't. In other words, it's never too early to start ready to your baby