Not losing any weight after giving birth.

Hi all. I understand postpartum weight loss takes time but I'm worried because I'm not even losing the weight of what I expelled from my body? I gained 20kg and became 83kg through the whole pregnancy. Gave birth to a baby of 2.8kg. Three weeks postpartum, I only lost 3kg and is now 80kg. Everyone says we will lose 5kg and more because of water bag, fluid, blood lost, baby weight etc. But it seems like I lost nothing except the weight of the baby itself? My water retention is gone because I am no longer swelling. But no weight loss. This is very puzzling and depressing. FYI I don't snack much. I eat my 3 meals and sometimes have a tea break if I'm hungry. I also drink 2L of water per day. Since the 1st day I discharge from hospital I have been walking more than a usual woman in confinement will because I had to bring my baby to polyclinic and hospital daily for his jaundice appointments. I don't direct latch but express breastmilk regularly. Anyone with similar experience?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends on individual. I gained 17KG & only managed to lose 3 KG after I give birth (3days PP). Baby is 2.6KG. I’m not sure how many months PP are you but I took 4 months to lose 12KG, exclusive pumping. It took us 9 months to gain weight, so it’s only normal for us to take the same amount of time to lose and recover.

Read more

it really depends on individual. I meet a lady who delivered baby same time at me who lost most of her weight after 1mo pp while me only lost 3kg. quite depressing that time. but after one year, I'm almost back to my pre pregnancy weight.

2y ago

Thanks! Hope it's the same for me!

I gained 12kg for my first pregnancy and took me abt 4 months to lose the weight. Maybe you want to try intermittent fasting.

After delivery I lose 2KG, after confinement I gained 2KG.. till date I gained 10KG and still can’t go down 😤

Post partum massage may help!