How do I clean my baby’s tongue? It’s so white from all the residue.

I tried using the cloth, silicon tongue cleaner... none worked. Only 1/3 of the tongue (tip) is clean. If I clean any deeper she gags. The nurse told me to let her drink a few sips of water after her feed. But it doesn’t work to. Help!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Before cleaning the tongue of child, make sure your hands are clean. Prepare warm water in a bowl. Now take a small manageable piece of gauze piece and wrap it around the finger. Moisten the gauze in warm water. Baby tongue cleaners can also be used instead of a gauze, which are specially designed finger cloth available in most drugstores. There are several ways in which a parent can clean the tongue; the simplest of all is cradle the child in one arm and clean the mouth by second hand. In this way, the child will feel the sense of security and affection. Put the finger over lips of baby for opening the mouth. As soon as the mouth is open, place the finger on his tongue and rub/ scrape gently over the surface of tongue in circular motion. After cleaning the tongue, rotate the finger around and massage cheeks sides, gums and teeth gently.

Read more