How do I clean my baby’s tongue? It’s so white from all the residue.

I tried using the cloth, silicon tongue cleaner... none worked. Only 1/3 of the tongue (tip) is clean. If I clean any deeper she gags. The nurse told me to let her drink a few sips of water after her feed. But it doesn’t work to. Help!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Before cleaning the tongue of child, make sure your hands are clean. Prepare warm water in a bowl. Now take a small manageable piece of gauze piece and wrap it around the finger. Moisten the gauze in warm water. Baby tongue cleaners can also be used instead of a gauze, which are specially designed finger cloth available in most drugstores. There are several ways in which a parent can clean the tongue; the simplest of all is cradle the child in one arm and clean the mouth by second hand. In this way, the child will feel the sense of security and affection. Put the finger over lips of baby for opening the mouth. As soon as the mouth is open, place the finger on his tongue and rub/ scrape gently over the surface of tongue in circular motion. After cleaning the tongue, rotate the finger around and massage cheeks sides, gums and teeth gently.

Read more

Use the baby hankerchief. Wet it with boiled and cooldown water and scrub it with your finger cover with that hankerchief. Make sure your hand is washed properly. The water if can use a dedicate bottle just for your baby. There special tongue cleaner out there. I think it is just gimmick. The hanky method works for kids since when they are babies.

Read more

Ensure your hands are washed, then soak a soft baby hankie into lukewarm water and wrap around your pinkie. As you gently clean the middle part of the tongue, you can let the baby imitate you and stick out your own tongue. Rinse and repeat one more time if needed. Drinking a few sips of warm water after each milk feed will help slightly too.

Read more
TapFluencer

No need to push too hard. Clean what you can clean now and eventually as baby grows, you will be able to clean deeper into the tongue

VIP Member

try using a cotton wood . Wet it and wrap over ur finger.. put into baby mouth and clean it

VIP Member

i use gauze.. soak in a warm water then i go in a circular motion (mouth) eg gum, tongue

Super Mum

My wife use nippel wipes from nuk brand

VIP Member

With NUK oral wipe of wet cloth

VIP Member

I use Nuk oral wipe

VIP Member

Nuk oral wipe