Fetal Vs Gestational Age

Hi, i thought i should be 7 weeks pregnant, based on 1st day of last period. But the age shown on my first ultrascan is about 5 weeks 6 days. Is the age on ultrascan the fetal age? Dr can't hear the heartbeat yet, so i have to go back next week. I'm afraid if baby is not growing or something.... Any comments?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My edd changed each time I visit the doctor. On my own, I maintained the first edd that doc gave me which is closer to my own calculation. I’m 12 weeks now and the last edd which doc gave me finally closely matches to the one I maintained. Like you, I worry a lot about edd initially because that’s how I can track my baby’s development. After talking to friends, I realised there’s nothing much to worry about. Be patient and listen to the doctor.

Read more
VIP Member

Usually the EDD given by the ultrasound is more accurate. & congrats! Don’t worry too much! It might be too early to detect a fetal heartbeat. That’s why usually polyclinic only referral patients to KKH / NUH at their 8th week for their first ultrasound