I am sure it is possible not to know if you break your water. It can be as small as a little trickle or a huge gush, and many women think they be leaking urine. So my question is.... what if I sleep through labour?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I've heard tales of women sleeping through early signs of labour eg water breaking but once the painful parts of labour start happening like contractions, apparently it's quite hard to ignore those pains. My friend was asleep when her water broke but she was awaken by the worst tummy ache in the history of tummy aches (her words not mine). She was rushed to the hospital and gave birth within hours. It's very rare to have a mother sleep naturally sleep through labou, I feel.

Read more
VIP Member

My cousin was asleep and she feel her water broke and her bed wet. So she woke up. :) The same for me, I was resting & asleep after the painkiller and suddenly I felt something popped in me from under and sudden gush of water came out. Told husband and the midwife, "I think my water broke!" cos soon after the pain got more intense.

Read more

Usually, once the water breaks, the woman will go into labour within 24 hours of the breaking. I reckon the contractions will signal to you that you are having your baby and it is quite unlikely that you will sleep through the process. So, in the meantime, do get as much rest as you can. :)