Water break

I am in my last few weeks of pregnancy. I wear a pad to sleep because sometimes I cough or sneeze I pee/leak a little. I’m a little afraid now that the EDD is nearing. How do I know if my water break in my sleep and it’s not my pee because I might have coughed during the night and leaked?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had the same worry too! I also had urine leakage in the final weeks of my pregnancy and I wondered if I'll miss the water leaking too. My water broke before I had any contractions. I was actually clearing my bladder past midnight and when I stood up, the amniotic fluid splattered on the floor. I immediately thought it's amniotic fluid cause I know I won't pee on the floor and I just peed too. For amiotic fluid, it's usually odorless (which was what I experienced) or sweet smelling. Pee has a distinctive amonia smell. Amiotic fluid is either pinkish tint or clear, may have whitish particles (I had). Also, for amniotic fluid, it usually pools in the vaginal and the leakage happens when you change positions, especially from lying/sitting to standing. I experimented and it was the case for me. Do look out for continuous leakage and the need to change your pad. Do note that different women leak different amounts. Mine was in small gushes but some women have it more as a trickle. I soaked through my regular pad by the time I made it to hospital. Within the hospital i soaked through 4-5 maternity pads and I wet 2 underwear by 6 hours; my bump also flattened out at the bottom and the bed was wet after each internal exam. My contractions only came 3 hours after my water broke. I did go to the labour ward within 1 hour + after calling the ward to check if I should admit. Was later told that if mums don't deliver by 12 hour mark, antibiotics will be needed to minimize infection for the baby since it's essentially a hole in the amniotic sac and bacteria can enter. I did have 2-3 courses cause my labour took 24 hours. The admission doctor did say water breaking before labour only happens in 10 % of all deliveries. Hope it all goes well and you have a smooth delivery!

Read more
4y ago

I am popping anytime soon and thank you for this clear explanation, really do appreciate it a lot. 🤗

it will keep leaking until the extend you need to change pad every 10min