I read that a mother will always be able to produce enough breastmilk for her baby? So is low supply just a myth?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Unfortunately I'm one of the few with low supplies.. I had tried everything, food & supplements, lactation consulations, everything. On top of that my son also refuses to latch on so it grew lots of frustration and stress amongst the both of us. Once I had finally pumped out 30ml and had asked my ex husband to store it in the fridge.. but he had accidentally forgot and left it outside on the counter so it got spoilt. I cried for a good 2 hours because that was my first 30ml after 2+ weeks. It got too me so much so that I knew I just had to stop trying altogether before I go crazy. Formula feeding my son ever since and never looked back.

Read more

I do believe in this however in very rare cases there are some mummies with low supply. If you latch frequently and on demand, your body will make the necessary production to suit your baby's needs. When baby demands more he suckles more and the body produces more. It's part of mother nature. Some mummies worry about their supply and begin to supplement their feeds with formula milk and hence fall into the top up trap. I used to be one of them until I decided to take the leap of faith and have no standby formula at home.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

Many times, mothers think they have low milk supply when actually there are a lot of factors affecting milk supply. Frequent on-demand latching or frequent pumping ensures that the breasts are emptied so the breasts can produce milk. A poor latch or supplementing with formula may cause milk supply to decrease. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

Read more

thanks