May i know when should i transition my lo to a straw cup and what are the benefits? I read sippy cup is not recommended. which straw cup is recommended?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The typical age for babies to develop the oral motor skills necessary to enable them to use a straw is between nine to 15 months. Here are some tips you can try (taken from: http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/5-tips-transitioning-to-straw-cup/): 1. Try starting with a juice box: This is to help your child understand the concept of withdrawing liquid from a straw. Encourage your child to put his/her lips around the straw while you squeeze to get the juice up. This will help your child associate “straw” with “drinking” 2. Try the “dip and tip” method: Dip a straw into your child’s beverage of choice, put your finger tip on the end of the straw and lift out of the cup. With your finger still on the end, put the end of the straw into your child’s mouth (onto the tongue tip), and tell him/her to “take a sip”. Then release the straw so all the liquid flows into your child’s mouth. 3. Gently pinch his/her lips together or use modeling to teach your child how to use a straw: when teaching through modeling, make crazy sucking sounds and facial expressions. Your child will imitate you which will help them learn how to use the straw for getting liquid into his/her mouth. 4. Cut the regular straw into half: this way, it requires less strength to draw the liquid up It may take time and numerous attempts before your child understand how to use a straw. Let him/her have a go at the straw everyday to let your child practice. If your child gets frustrated or upset at his/her failed attempts, pause for a few days before trying again.

Read more

Typically, babies can master the straw cups by the time they turn 15 months. My favourite straw cup is Tommee Tippee Explora straw cup. I generally love Tommee Tippee stuff because of their design and reliability. Here's an article that reviews and rates the best straw cups there are out there. Hopefully this will help: http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Reviews-Straw-Sippy-Cups-11918492

Read more

At 6 months when started solid and water, we let our girl use munchkins 360 miracle cup. Around 10-11months, started to introduce drinking with straw and straw cup. (We also read about sippy cup not recommended). By 12 months she uses straw cup to drink milk and water.

my 6MO uses the straw cup to drink. it's more intuitive than the sippy cup. you may consider the pigeon mag mag series.

8y ago

I latch my boy for his milk. he drinks water using the straw bottle, much faster than using the sippy cup. I decided to switch to straw as I learnt that it is more intuitive (which happens to be true!). I didn't even have to train him, he just sucked the water through the straw.