Can I just drink maternal milk in first trimester

I am in my first trimester and having very bad nausea and vomiting. Have no appetite to eat as well as most things come out after that. I’ve been to the hospital and did some blood test which shows that I’m still adequately hydrated. Was thinking if it’s possible to just drink maternal milk all day (in place of eating) to get enough nutrients for the baby?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Milk alone is definitely not enough and maternal milk has high sugar content, known to be one of the reasons for gestational diabetes. My gynae discourages me frm drinking it unless it's the only thing i cld take. I ended up drinking fresh milk and supplement with multivits, calcium and fish oil. Forced myself to eat at least 1 proper balanced meal. 1st tri is impt cz it's the time when baby is developing. Any deficiency will cause defects and abnormalities.

Read more
3y ago

don't scare people like that please.

Super Mum

Ensure would be a decent substitute for solid food, but try to take as much solid food as you can, whatever you feel you can stomach even if it's just fruit, snacks... Hope you're feeling better!

3y ago

Agree! It is a complete nutrition.. You can take it as meal replacement if you barely eat anything for your main meal.. 2 servings (about 12 scoops) will give you about 500kcal, equivalent to the calorie of a main meal. Other than "Ensure", you can get alternatives such as Boost Optimum / Enercal.. There have similar nutrients but from different companies..

VIP Member

Milk is a good supplement, but it definitely cannot substitute a proper meal.

milk is just a supplement. should Still try to eat something for baby