I hope you had been in a similar situation to give me advice on this one. My friend is feeding her 6month old every hour, day and night, whenever the baby cries. She claims her lo cries for it, needs it. But its obvious that she accommodated to her baby's behaviour and isn't putting the baby on any schedule. I tried to talk to her but she doesn't want to listen. Do you have any advice on how I convince her that she's making her child behave as such and that she should try a different approach?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I also think that if a six-month old is crying every hour, it is more likely that he/she is nursing for comfort rather than out of hunger. It is tiring for your friend but if she has no complaints, there is probably no urgent need to advise her to do anything else. But if such hourly feeding schedule is tiring her out, you can highlight to her to note how much her baby is really drinking at each feeding. She can then determine if her baby just wanted to suckle for comfort. If that is the case, you can suggests to her to try other methods to comfort her child. She could also get others (husband, or other family members) to help with the comforting so that she can get more rest.

Read more

What your friend is doing is actually called nursing on demand. There is nothing wrong with it and it is the most natural way to feed your baby - whenever he needs it. I nurse my baby on demand as well and I don't see the need for a different approach, lack of predictability is probably the only inconvenience. There are many benefits to nursing on demand including less stress for baby, baby decides how much he needs and how much to drink, as well as ensuring mum's supply is adequate and of a high quality. You may read more about the differences between nursing on demand and feeding on schedule here: http://www.parentingscience.com/infant-feeding-schedule.html

Read more

For a 6 mth old to cry hourly for milk might be more for comfort than nursing. Although it is not wrong to feed a child who is crying, it is also a concern to y a 6 mth old is always hungry hrly. For me, I don't attend to my crying child immediately but I m monitoring her needs. I will go over 5 mins later n give a pat or hug for comfort first. Offering breasts upon crying might become a habit more than hunger n this might tire the mother out. Besides, 6 mth old shld have a more structured routine. However, having said so, if your friend is comfortable n happy to nurse hrly than I suggest leave to her discretion.

Read more

I am sorry but unless your friend does not have a problem, why are you so interested in making her change her ways? i know that it must be tiring for her and that is why you are concerned, but end of the day, it is something that she and her baby share, so let them be. at 6 months, her baby will soon start having new food such as fluids and solids. once that happens, the baby will reduce breastfeeding, and a new schedule will form.

Read more

thanks