Just ranting - Strong Food Aversion continues at week 13

I have strong food aversion towards everything (esp meat, egg and vege) since week 6, I could only stomache some plain bread, pasta, crackers, some tofu and limited amount of fish/prawns. The sight of raw things in supermarkets drives me nauseous, dizzy and I would start dry heaving. Just scrolling at foodpanda/grab makes me gag as well. Today I brokedown before dinner because I couldn't stand not being able to eat anything anymore, its also the guilt of not being able to eat enough nutrients for baby. Forced myself to eat and vomitted them out.. Are there any mommies out there suffering the same as me? Feeling so alone in this journey :'(

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

same here mama to be, I was unable to eat anything other than rice, corn, lotus root soup, porridge, and fruits. I couldn't even drink water too 🫤 my doctor told me dont need to focus too much on stressing about nutrition, just eat / drink what I can, better than eating "healthy" food and end up puking it all out. most important to keep yourself hydrated, and take your pregnancy supplements! my appetite came back at around week 15. seems like it has been weeks since you posted this, are you able to eat more now? no need to guilt yourself, pregnancy is already a challenge, so take it easy and know that food aversion is also your body's natural way of helping you grow the baby safely!

Read more
1y ago

Thank you for your reply! It was such a difficult phase, really glad we made it through...😊 My MS has also subsided fully around week 15 and I could eat most things happily now and drink plain water. The MS days now feels like a distant memory😊

you're not alone in this! I'm still hating and gagging at the thought of food too, which is a very diff me and really hardgoing day to day thing ): vomiting is still there, but less compared to week 5-6 (which i was hospitalised for hyperemesis gravidrum). Every monthly check-up, my weight is reducing. don't feel guilty, you're as important as growing baby! I was assured and comforted by a mom who had it worse than me that baby will still grow (take mommy's body nutrients), though mommy's appetite remains poor! hope this brings some assurance to you too ❤️

Read more
1y ago

Thank you very much for your kind and comforting words ❤it has really brightened up my day and encouraged me to live each day as it is.. I'm really sorry to hear that you are suffering from HG, I've have a friend with that too and I understand its beyond traumatizing :(...hugs. let's do this together, we can make it!

Same here… whatever I loved to eat previously just make me gagged now. I always do not know what to eat. My mum and MIL also do not know what to cook for me. It’s really frustrating. Know that you are not alone.

1y ago

Hahaha! Ikr! Meal times are a chore!

Hey mummy! Hugs! Hang in there! I’m in the same situation as you. Any food smell, smell of oil and grease make me nauseous. I only eat paus/bread and biscuits. I know it gets really depressing but we’re in this tgt!

1y ago

Thank you for the virtual hugs 🥰 *hugs to you too* Are you feeling better now? My MS has resolved fully at week 15/16 :)

Don’t be discouraged! A lot told me I would feel better at week 13 too cause it’s the start of second trimester. But I actually only felt better at week 15! It will be better! Hang in there!

1y ago

Thank you very much for your reply and encouragement 😊 Same here! so many people say 2nd tri is the honeymoon period. It indeed is! My MS left all of a sudden around week 15/16 and my appetite is back 💯 again.