I found mold in my valves of my breastpump. I'm not sure for how long this has been going on. I wash with hot soapy water. I'm scared my 6 months old baby drank milk that touched the mold. she now has a cough and runny nose for about 2 days. is it because of the ebm? what should I do? does she have an infection? I feel so bad. I'm going to throw out all my milk.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You should change a new set of valves. You have to take the valves out to wash, normally they are fully detachable, including the membrane if you are using medela ones. Take note to dry them in a place that is not humid, mold grow at humid places. Cough and runny nose have nothing to do with the mold. Probably she caught a cold. There was once I found mold at the cap of my bottles but baby is fine but if you have enough milk to spare, it will be better to throw them out to reduce the risk of getting infection.

Read more

Certainly! To safely remove mold in a newborn-friendly manner, mix equal parts white vinegar and water, apply the solution with a soft cloth, and let it sit for an hour before wiping. Ensure proper ventilation. For professional assistance, consider contacting experts like FDP Mold Remediation in Arlington, VA at https://www.fdpmoldremediation.com/arlington-va/ for a thorough and safe mold removal service tailored to your specific needs.

Read more

I think I will just throw the ebm away. I don't want to risk it. how should I monitor her to see if she has infection due to mold or just a normal cold? I'm freaking out

Take note of fever, watery eyes, itchy eyes, wheezing. If you are afraid, it is definitely worth a trip down to the doctor.

If you speak to the manufacturer, they should be able to tell you where to get new valves from, or even provide them.