I am a first time mum, my pain tolerance is super super low to the extent when drawing blood I feel pain for the insertion or injection by requesting & using the smallest diameter needle. Docs and nurses often teased me for being such a baby. Recently I started to have a lot of phobias for delivery pain. Initially I was very worried but now I am having a freak out even I have scary dreams about the painful labour process lately. Now I am really constantly thinking of the pain that a pregnant mum (referring myself) that I have to endure and go through in future. I told my mum and mother in law about my serious fears regarding the pain. Mother in law told me the pain is not the dilation or tear in vagina, the real pains are the contractions throughout the 10hours+ duration. Is this true? Or the pains are when the baby is coming out of the vagina? I am so scared mummies! Pls help me. Pls tell me what to do because I am really extremely scared of the pain. I don't know where exactly the pain comes from and how to overcome them? Should I just go for C-sect to end the painful process for someone like me who is so afraid of pain? But I wanted a faster recovery so thinking of going for vaginal delivery with epidural. I heard epidural is a pain reducer, not a pain reliever. And I am very worried I am going to suffer prenatal depression right now. How or what should I do to seek mental consultation to relieve my tremendous fears for pain?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It will be pain no matter what u choose. U can opt for vaginal with epidural as the effects of epidural can last quite long and hopefully till the end of the whole labor process. But generally u have contraction discomfort - not really the pain pain but discomfort for a while before u wana ask for epidural in case u long labor. But vaginal births is complex and anything can happen so u might still end up c-sect after trying to push for a long time. If u are fearful of the delivery it will only make ur worst nightmare come true because mentally u alrdy cannot make it - when face w the real thing - u will over-react and it will just be a even worse experience Go for c sect. Epidural. V fast go in and very fast come out. After that can just request for stronger pain killers and take during the first few days. So much easier. Recovery time is longer but it's not as tho u are intending to train for a marathon and u have ur maternity leave too right? Just slowly recover lor I did c sect caz I am high risk. My friend is vaginal

Read more