I want to try normal delivery with epidural but I just saw the epidural needle is very thick and long. This is my 1st pregnancy and I am already having mental breakdown due to contraction & labour pains. I had nightmares everynight and cannot sleep from 2am to 6am daily! So seeing this thick needle makes me even more stressed and scary now. I am really scared of pain extremely. How do they administer into the spinal or epidural space? Is it going to be very painful when they insert into the spine? Any anesthesia to numb the spine area prior insertion of the epidural needle?

48 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally, I couldn't endure the contractions pain. I was scared of using the epidural initially because of the side effects and wanted natural birth without it. But on my labour day (I was induced), the contractions were so unbearable and it was just beginning, laughing gas didn't help so I caved and took epidural. The injection was bearable compared to the contraction pains, and in just a few short minutes, I could finally relax. I find it a lifesaver, cause epidural saved me all the labour pains: contractions, birth, and stitching. I was numbed completely and it made my labour journey relatively easy, although I had to push baby out without feeling anything at all. I didn't regret it. So don't worry, the labour pain can be scary but the epidural pain is nothing compared to it.

Read more

I am scared of pain like extreme that kind. But on my labour day, I though I was going to s*** and having real bad stomachache. Until I feel that the pain make me uncomfortable and difficult to walk, then I realized I am having contractions. I am home alone that time, and I had to packed my bag while having contractions and call my hubby. Is like a real bad stomachache, (the biggest s*** of my life is coming out from my below kind of feeling. ) my hubby came home rushed me to hospital and nurse checked on me, I am already 10cm diluted, ready to give birth. they give me a gas to breath in and then tada tada... I can't feel much pain after the gas I breath in.

Read more

My contraction started at home so can imagine how painful i was by the time I reached the hospital. When the nurse brief me on the risk of epidural to get consent I said just give it to me now now now! But they said have to wait for the anaesthetist to arrive, laughing gas doesn’t work for me. So when I have my second child I opt for it in advance even before the pain comes. In both cases I don’t remember much if the injection is painful, but the contraction is definitely very painful. I have friends who give birth naturally without epidural, I can never understand how is that possible.

Read more

I had an epidural last week at Thomson medical. First of all they give you a local anaesthetic to numb the area of your back, this is like a normal injection and is over quickly. Then they give you the epidural, so you can't really feel it. It's a soft/flexible wire that's inserted and remains in your back through labour, the nurses can turn the drugs strength up or down as needed. You can lay back and you don't feel the wire. After that, you can see on the monitor that your are having contractions, but you can't feel them! Don't worry, you will do great!

Read more

i juz give birth to my 1st bbgirl,norm delivery n epidural, that time i also have the same thinking or worry like u, my contraction pain is unbearable,laughing gas doesnt wk well on me at all so i take epidural, its not painful when putting epidural, u wun be able to see it when inserting so u dun need to care thick or long, aftr u are in epidural, u really wun feel any contraction pain n able to rest more, aftr delivery, the stitching part also not pain✨i got no regret taking epidural 😂👍✨

Read more
4y ago

starting backache for 2weeks

VIP Member

no point thinking so much. I m like you too i m so scare to a certain extend.. But on the day itself , all i can think is the safety arrival of baby .. I m being poke for more than 7 times in a day. Epidural and 6 injectio on hand which is damn pai as on the day of giving birth i m sick and having some dangerous risk but i insisted and everything went well. FIRST DO NOT THINK SO MUCH AND DO NOT WATCH VIDEO ONLINE. I used to watch and scare myself.

Read more

I'm afraid of long needles too and never did wanted an epidural. But, when the contractions were bad, instinct told me that I needed pain relief. I did not see the needle or the anaesthetist nor did I care about the procedure. The only pain I felt was the contraction caused by the induction drip. I was so relieved and relaxed after the epidural. I was able to hold my baby and really enjoy the happiness that comes with a new family. Have a safe delivery.

Read more
8y ago

Hi what's an induction drip??? And may I know if the epidural effect is lasting to help throughout the pushing of baby (I meant the entire delivery process)???? FYI, I don't know if it's very pain for the epidural needle to be inserted??? Was there any anesthesia to numb the spine first????

At first I was also reluctant to use epidural during my induced labour, but the laughing gas and other pain killer method failed badly so I decided to use epidural. It wasn't painful when the anesthetist insert the epidural needle bcos they did local anesthesia before inserting the big needle. Dont worry u will be fine bcos the anesthetist are highly trained in this 😊

Read more

Dont worry, think of how happy you’ll be seeing your baby. Happy thoughts positive thinking. They will ask u if you want epidural when you’re 3cm dilated but after 5cm there wont ask anymore. I had epidural and immediately the pain was gone. Its your first time so you dont know what to expect. Just go with the flow and ask for help if you need anything.

Read more

I just gave birth 2 days ago and epidural is really a lifesaver from the contraction pains! I used the laughing gas while they administer the epidural as I was shivering so badly from the contraction pains. With the gas, your whole body becomes numb and the pain becomes bearable. Don't watch any videos to scare yourself! It's not that scary!

Read more