I am a first time mum, my pain tolerance is super super low to the extent when drawing blood I feel pain for the insertion or injection by requesting & using the smallest diameter needle. Docs and nurses often teased me for being such a baby. Recently I started to have a lot of phobias for delivery pain. Initially I was very worried but now I am having a freak out even I have scary dreams about the painful labour process lately. Now I am really constantly thinking of the pain that a pregnant mum (referring myself) that I have to endure and go through in future. I told my mum and mother in law about my serious fears regarding the pain. Mother in law told me the pain is not the dilation or tear in vagina, the real pains are the contractions throughout the 10hours+ duration. Is this true? Or the pains are when the baby is coming out of the vagina? I am so scared mummies! Pls help me. Pls tell me what to do because I am really extremely scared of the pain. I don't know where exactly the pain comes from and how to overcome them? Should I just go for C-sect to end the painful process for someone like me who is so afraid of pain? But I wanted a faster recovery so thinking of going for vaginal delivery with epidural. I heard epidural is a pain reducer, not a pain reliever. And I am very worried I am going to suffer prenatal depression right now. How or what should I do to seek mental consultation to relieve my tremendous fears for pain?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

The pain is more from the contractions than anything else. When giving birth, you'll be so focused on the contraction pains that you can't even think about anything else. When the baby is ready to come out, you will naturally have the urge to push...a bit like passing motion. Your gynae will probably inject the area to numb it before making the episiotomy snip and sewing it up. You won't feel the pain from the wound except the pull of the thread when he/she is stitching you up. You only feel the soreness later when everything is done. If you can't tahan the contraction pains, there's always pain relief options like laughing gas, pithidine jab and epidural. But do note that there are pros and cons of each and it differs from person to person.

Read more