I am a first time mum, my pain tolerance is super super low to the extent when drawing blood I feel pain for the insertion or injection by requesting & using the smallest diameter needle. Docs and nurses often teased me for being such a baby. Recently I started to have a lot of phobias for delivery pain. Initially I was very worried but now I am having a freak out even I have scary dreams about the painful labour process lately. Now I am really constantly thinking of the pain that a pregnant mum (referring myself) that I have to endure and go through in future. I told my mum and mother in law about my serious fears regarding the pain. Mother in law told me the pain is not the dilation or tear in vagina, the real pains are the contractions throughout the 10hours+ duration. Is this true? Or the pains are when the baby is coming out of the vagina? I am so scared mummies! Pls help me. Pls tell me what to do because I am really extremely scared of the pain. I don't know where exactly the pain comes from and how to overcome them? Should I just go for C-sect to end the painful process for someone like me who is so afraid of pain? But I wanted a faster recovery so thinking of going for vaginal delivery with epidural. I heard epidural is a pain reducer, not a pain reliever. And I am very worried I am going to suffer prenatal depression right now. How or what should I do to seek mental consultation to relieve my tremendous fears for pain?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a first time mum, I was like you.. even when drawing blood, I cried. I cried when I was force to go to Delivery Suite after my appointment. I cried when they say that they are going to induce me even when I declined. Take epidural. But only if you have started feeling painful contractions. i had my first epidural for #2 and I did not have any painful contractions despite being 5cm dilated. and because the needle is so big and long, my fear took over me. and the epidural insertion was more scary and painful than pushing. For #3, I only had epidural after enduring 11 hours of painul contractions, and it was the best thing ever. Stopped all the pain till it was time to push. & the reason why I said to take epidural is that, to me the worst pain was from stitching up down there after vaginal delivery. For #1, I did not take epidural. People told me once baby is out, no more pain. But I was wrong. The stitching up part was insane! I could feel the needle going in and out. Thus for #2 and #3, with epidural, I didnt feel a thing during stitching and I recovered very fast due to that. However, note that epidural have some side effects. I always run a fever after delivery due to epidural and I shiver excessively but I try to control myself. Some vomit throughout labour. Remember to weat thick long socks and also to keep moving your toes and legs even when your legs are numb from epidural. Get your partner to massage your feet and legs. Hope this helps.

Read more