I am exclusively pumping for my 25 month old and 7 month old daughters. I was just told that pumping results to tissue damage. How true is this and how must I go about EPing until my youngest reaches 2 years old to prevent this issue?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have attended a lactation counselling and underwent lactation massage because I'm close to having mastitis. According to Arugaan-trained counsellor, Nanay Rich, pumping isn't the best way to get milk without direct latch. Best is just hand expression. Plus, it's more efficient in emptying milk ducts, less hassle (you don't need to bring a pump, just your hands!) and above all, it's free! As for the tissue damage, it may be possible through pumping because it uses negative pressure (you can Google more about it) while hand expression uses positive ductal pressure--the very same pressure when your baby latches on you. Too high negative pressure will eventually cause painful, damaged tissues and more plugged ducts that may lead to mastitis. Hope this helps! :)

Read more

I'm not quite sure if pumping damages tissue. But I know lots of mommy friends who pump regularly, and from what I know, they never complained any serious illness or injuries in connection to pumping. That might mean long term pumping is just ok.