Heartbeat beating fast

I am currently in 13 wks + @ 2nd trimester. Lately I noticed that my heartbeat is racing/pounding. Makes me cough and I have to catch my breath sometimes. It also happened when I first had to take my blood pressure. I just came out from the toilet and had to walk a bit to the clinic when the nurse called me. The reading was 143 (I was shocked cos I am anemiac and normally I have low bp) and my obgyn had me re-do the bp again cos she said it's not good. Anyone facing the same? What do you do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My heartbeat actually went up after I got pregnant. Used to be around 90bpm average, but now it's around 100 plus bpm. But it isn't causing me much issues. My blood pressure sometimes spikes when I'm nervous. I had to retake my BP afew times during my check ups, bcos my first reading is sometime 140. But it usually drops to 127 after I rest and they take a second reading. Maybe you can try to monitor your BP at home everyday? Just to make sure it's not consistently high.

Read more
4y ago

As long as it's not consistently high, it should be fine. I try to measure at home every few days, and somehow the reading is always a lot lower (around 110) 😅 So maybe its the stress and anticipation of being in the hospital that caused the spike.

Having high BP during pregnancy isn’t good sign. I think you should report your high BP to your gynae and get it managed as high BP can put you at higher risk during pregnancy. Usually gynae will prescribe aspirin or another meds to help manage the risk. If your current gynae does not really put attention to it, you can ask for 2nd opinion to gynae who specialized in managing high risk pregnancy.

Read more

I went for my appt yesterday and thank God my bp dropped and was back to normal. Guess I was really anxious during my 1st appt 😅 Thank you mummies for your replies.