I am a vegetarian by choice but I would like to give meat to my four-year-old daughter. Should I start with chicken?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

White meat like chicken and turkey are good starters for a child your age. They are good sources of protein, iron, calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients. For healthier choices, select lean meat cuts and cut off visible fat before cooking. Yo an also use lower-fat cooking methods including broiling, grilling, roasting or pressure-cooking to make your child's diet a healthier one.

Read more

Chicken is a good meat to start with. I too am a vegetarian and started my daughter with chicken, as it is easier to chew because if its texture. My only challenge was that I was unable to taste it before serving it to her, and since meats and poultry can easily go bad, I always make sure that someone else tasted it before I gave it to her to eat.

Read more

Yes chicken would be a good choice. Since your daughter is already four, any meat would do. Chicken and turkey won't have that much odour and might be easier for your daughter to accept at the beginning. For Beef, fish, and pork, I'd suggest to mix it with other odours, for example spaghetti bolognese or fried rice for shrimps etc.

Read more

Yup, why not? Just make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked before you serve to your kid. You can use herbs to season the chicken to make it more flavourful.