Should induced or wait till 42 weeks?

Hi! I am already 40 weeks+5 days now. My EDD shld be 15 sept which has already overdue. Doctor have been pestering me to induce but i keep rejecting as the result of all the ultrascans and cardio check of my baby is positive and normal. I prefer not to be induce to force baby to come out as i want a normal natural birth and i am afraid if induce might led to csect. Can anyone advise if i should still wait until 42 weeks and let the baby come out on its own once ready?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Even if you want a natural birth, if it doesnt go the way we want it, you might end up with emergency C sect. I was induce at 41 weeks for my first child. I am 3cm dilated with waterbag full and no signs of contractions. I ended with assisted delivery (vacuum) as baby's heartbeat drop and with jab in the thigh, gas, epidural. I did request till 42 weeks but they cant due to baby's huge and to avoid other complications or ending my birth in OT. You can try to stretch till 41 weeks, but if still no sign then you have to be induce. It can be much more painful then natural birth, sometimes we have to decide what's the best for us and baby esp safety.

Read more

It’s quite a personal decision although gynae would advise to induce because research shows that there’s no added benefit as compared to risks of the baby staying in there for longer. Biggest worry is that of stillbirth. It can happen to anyone but the older you are and the more pregnancy complications, the higher the risk. That being said, this is your baby and your body so you get to decide whether you’d like to induce or not.

Read more

Hi! May i know if how was your birth? Did u induce or wait? Im in the same situation as you right now and would like to know if you dont mind sharing😅