Baby Nail Cutting

Using a baby Nail cutter, I accidentally cut my Baby's left hand last smallest index finger nail too deep and it cause a minor cut, and baby had say 5 to 10++ drops of minor bleeding. After cleaning the wound with tissue & Applied Aloe Vera Gel, bleeding has stop & Baby seems okay now, just that the wound feels delicate at times. Just wondering if the wound will heal say within 7 to 10 days? Is there anything I need to take note of? Feel heart pain & upset now, just reprimanded by my wife & in law even though I am not deliberate. Also wanted to ask when is a good age to help trim Baby's nails? 1 year old or older? Would trimming it when baby is asleep a better idea?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

My husband did that once too. It’ll heal soon, don’t worry and don’t feel bad. It was an accident, and I’m heartened to see a father help cut baby’s nails:) Good job! A trick I learned is to pull back baby’s flesh away from the nail using your finger, before sliding the nail clipper in to cut. I cut my baby’s nails with the nail clipper from day 2 of life 😆

Read more
4y ago

Hi Cherlyn do you think nail trimmer would help? After this accident, I no longer dare to trim Nails my our baby. My wife still gives me those cold face stare sometimes =('

VIP Member

You didn’t mean it. The wound will heal! Just try to keep the wound clean and dry. Babies’ cuts will heal very fast. I trimmed my baby’s fingers from 3 months onwards as I removed her mittens to let her explore. I don’t like to use baby nail cutter. My husband once cut my baby’s nails too deep too. Invest in a electric nail trimmer. You won’t regret it!

Read more

U have to trim the nails otherwise baby will scratch his face. Also will bleed. I cut when baby is asleep. Usually during his dream feed. You can also try adertek’s electric nail trimmer. That one only grinds away the nail and will never cut the skin. I use for the fingers, but abit difficult for the toenails so I’ll use nail cutter for toenails.

Read more
4y ago

Also, accidentally cutting baby’s flesh during nail trimming is very common la. Nobody wants it to happen but it does. Almost all my friends kena before.

Maybe u can try to push the flesh of the baby finger away so you can gauge better and go slow on the nail clipper. Pick a time when baby is sleeping or less active. I get my hubby to help me to hold on to the baby limbs, this will help you.

Your wife must be crying. When baby hurts, mummy is always the one most heart pain. How come u dare to cut your baby finger nail till so deep? He/ she is just a baby, it is too dangerous. Sorry is always too late. Please wear mitten.

4y ago

I had regret, feel heart pain myself also. But its too late, for now we wait for Baby's cut wound to heal. Also looking at those nail trimmers to help better manage Baby's nails.

I scolded my husband for almost a week when he accidentally cut my baby finger last time. Taking care a baby must always be careful and careful. Sorry was too late when accident happen. Wear your baby mitten if you are not confident.

4y ago

Thanks for your sharing. After this mistake, I will think and think again before I do anything with our Baby 🙏

Cut when baby is sleeping and don't cut at night. Vision is blur at night very dangerous. At night cut old maid tale say baby with have nightmare.. and also their vein is tiny, a small cut to them will have big impact.

VIP Member

Dont worry. I also cut my LO finger once. Felt damn guilty but I realised using nail scissors is easier at this moment. U can try it too

VIP Member

Don’t worry too much ok? Sometimes it happens! What I usually do is I will do it when baby is sleeping.

VIP Member

Normally I do that when baby is asleep . And during day time . Use baby nail scissors to cut .