Can I tell my gynae she's being rude?

I am 26 years old, overweight and pregnant currently in my 2nd trimester. During my visits to my private gynae at kkh, she often asks me to "lift up" my tummy so she can scan the baby. However, this request was uncommon with routine scans at the AMC. (Which I gather should mean that the machines can scan the baby irregardless of how much tummy fat one has.) She will also pass the same remarks like "your bmi very high" for every single visit (like I need a reminder) and repeatedly told me that I am only allowed to put on 5-9kg throughout the entire pregnancy. This caused me alot of stress and so far during the first trimester I managed to maintain the same weight by not eating so much. Whenever she makes these remarks it makes me feel very humiliated as she will have several nurses in the room at a time. Is it possible to tell her off that it's rude or should i just keep brushing it off as a need for every check up? Does anyone else face something similar? My friend who's also overweight during pregnancy told me her gynae passed off several hurtful remarks about her being overweight too, so I guess it's normal amongst doctors to bash fat pregnant people. #pleasehelp

Can I tell my gynae she's being rude?GIF
17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I know how u feel. 5 years ago, when i was overweight (not obese yet), i went to kkh private to seek help for pcos and fertility treatment. I chose a random gynae and he was nasty, kept talking about my weight without offering any other advice. I was so sad that i stopped going to hospital, and got scared to seek help for the next 5 years. 5 years later, i became obese and got the courage to see a gynae again thru subsidized route at kkh. As per protocol, Gynae told me very nicely to try my best to lose just a little bit of weight to conceive naturally. But when im not successful, we still proceeded with fertility treatment. I got pregnant successfully, with twins! At 20weeks, i transferred to sgh as i wanted lesser waiting time. All the gynaes, drs and nurses ive met since did not make such nasty comments about my weight. All they do is, prescribed me medicine like aspirin to avoid pre-eclampsia due to my weight. And gynae explained to me very nicely. Dont let the gynae bully like that. It may be tough love, but if u cant accept it, u shouldnt tolerate it. There are so many other nicer gynaes. The last thing we want is for you to fall into depression and love youself lesser due to such remarks from one gynae. All the best!

Read more
2y ago

yes at this stage I'm already very sensitive and self-conscious. appreciate your heartfelt sharing ❤