Can I tell my gynae she's being rude?

I am 26 years old, overweight and pregnant currently in my 2nd trimester. During my visits to my private gynae at kkh, she often asks me to "lift up" my tummy so she can scan the baby. However, this request was uncommon with routine scans at the AMC. (Which I gather should mean that the machines can scan the baby irregardless of how much tummy fat one has.) She will also pass the same remarks like "your bmi very high" for every single visit (like I need a reminder) and repeatedly told me that I am only allowed to put on 5-9kg throughout the entire pregnancy. This caused me alot of stress and so far during the first trimester I managed to maintain the same weight by not eating so much. Whenever she makes these remarks it makes me feel very humiliated as she will have several nurses in the room at a time. Is it possible to tell her off that it's rude or should i just keep brushing it off as a need for every check up? Does anyone else face something similar? My friend who's also overweight during pregnancy told me her gynae passed off several hurtful remarks about her being overweight too, so I guess it's normal amongst doctors to bash fat pregnant people. #pleasehelp

Can I tell my gynae she's being rude?GIF
17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i went for private gynae, paid alot more than subsidized. i was 70kg before preggy, and gained 24kg till my 38th weeks i was 94kg. my gynae rant n nag me on every visit for almost 1hr haha. i was hurt but i know its for my own good. so yeah i always smile n say thanks only. try to think positive mommy! but of cos u hv the right to tell the gynae how u feel, u paid money one leh. cheers!

Read more
2y ago

ok.. I'll try my best to see it that way. thank you!