Hubby wants to open a savings account. He said it's for us. But wants it to be under his name. Does he makes sense? I want it to be under both our names though so whatever happens I know I also have authority and for sure I'll contribute to it in the long run. What to do?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If the money pools money from both peoples earnings then for sure it has to have both names on it. If it is only his earnings but meant for the family then it should have both names too. That is a sign of an open relationship. If its only his earnings and meant for his use. Then its up to him. If he refuses than i suggest you do not put your money in. Doeshechave any valid reason for his request?

Read more

If both of you are contributing why not put both names? Absolutely not to put only under his name especially if he says it is for both of you. With a joint account it will be easier to withdraw money in case something happens to one of you. And make sure you check the transactions every month

Can't be just his name on the savings account. It doesn't make sense if you are going to contribute to it as well. I'm not sure why he would like to open a savings account and have it under his name... I don't think any reason would be justifiable in this situation actually.

If he wants a savings account under his name, fine but you don't contribute to it. You start your own savings account too if you want to save. But if he wants you to contribute, then it should be a joint account. What's his concern about a joint account?

While your concern is not unreasonable but the fact that you are feeling this way and your husband is not willing to change his position. My advise is don't open it, keep financial separated and have a peace of mind.

I think the other advises are v good. We also have a bank account as both name but with my name being main and I am holding the ATM. Really depends on what monies and how the monies are going to be used

VIP Member

Best to be done under both name. It's not a joint acct without both of your names. If he says he wants to open a savings account under his name, he shld be the one contributing it

Read more

Get it under both names and to make sure both of u are comfortable, set it without any atm card, onli passbook n onli when both of u are around then withdrawal of cash can be done.

Without a thought of course under both names. Otherwise don't say it's for us. Better say for himself. Be firm about it and not give in.

If both of u contribute to the account then there should be both names. Unless he is the sole contributor to the account for "us"