How would you discipline a teenage child?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My parents had different ways of dealing with me and my brothers when we were in our teens. We had different personalities and different discipline related phases. My elder brother was rebellious and did everything in his power to rage against "authority" be it in school or at home. They tried the harsh disciplinary ways but they found out that this fuelled him further so it boiled down to a lot of negotiations and tough love, which worked eventually. For me, I was the only girl and I wanted the same liberties as my brothers - going out till late, go on adventures alone etc. I didn't dare to argue with my parents so I would go about doing things in secret haha and this landed me in a lot of trouble with my parents. After lengthy discussions, they realised that they needed to trust me more and let me have my way but with the condition that I maintained my good grades. If my grades slipped, then my parents had the right to take away those privileges. Setting limits and lots of discussions/negotiations is important in discipling teenagers. Punishments and old school ways of punishments might just push away the teen.

Read more