How to sleep train

How do you start to sleep train? Is sleep training always a sucess?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I sleep train right from newborn. After feeding, placed her in cot and being newborns they will go to sleep almost instantly. Practice “light is day, dark is night = sleep” Left her to sleep in cot for a few weeks then co-sleep with her. P/S: Initially we shuddered at the thought of co-sleep because me and husband we’re both big size people on a king bed. 😂 But when baby slept with us, we hardly move ourselves afraid we might turn and suffocate her and also I was still recovering from my c-sect so I was quite a light sleeper for my first month of post-partum. Kept waking up to check if baby is alright. We made sure pillows and comforters were out of the way. This then became a habit for both of us to check on her through the night. So actually, the first few days we did pat her to sleep, shush her, swayed her, rocked her, etc. But slowly reduced as much as possible doing all that for her when putting her to sleep unless she’s gassy or fussy. When she co-sleep with us, I will just put her on the bed and monitor her. She will play for a few mins then start to fuss, look for her pacifier which I’ll give and turn her sideways and caress her eyebrows, hair, and she’ll slowly drift off to sleep. Eventually I stopped doing all that and now at 4 months, we’ll just put her on the bed, give her towel and pacifier and she will just know when to close her eyes. We will monitor her until she goes off to sleep on her own which she does almost instantly. Usually 9pm onwards I’d switch off my room light and leave the night light on. Then she’ll already know it’s bedtime. At my in-laws place I’ll place her in a cot and she’ll sleep on her own as well. Sometimes my MIL will pat her and sing lullabies to her but when she goes to bed with me, I don’t do all that so she can still make do with either. At my parents’, she will sleep in her yao lan, and drift off to sleep after a few minutes of rocking. Planning to remove it cause she sleeps longer without it actually. Haha which means she’s used to not being “moved” or “swayed” when sleeping. My baby also sleeps through the night for 7-9hrs straight. I’ll give her a last feeding right before bedtime which is usually between 8.30-9.30pm and very rarely she’ll wake up before 5am. Normally she’ll go into night mode after 8.30pm. Her naps in the day are usually from 20mins-2hrs intervals. She’ll usually have about 12-14hrs of sleep from the time she goes to bed and wake up around 10+am everyday with about 3 feedings of 90-120ml in between from 5am onwards. The only thing that I regret raising my baby with is introducing the pacifier. Being new parents we panicked every time she cried so we soothe her by introducing the pacifier. Initially we both agreed we wouldn’t want to but couldn’t help to see if it would work on her and now we both regret. Hahaha. Because now my baby needs her pacifier to soothe herself. I’m trying to slowly wean her off the pacifier before she grows too big to stop. Cause she knows how to suck her thumb if she can’t find her pacifier. Which I’ve read and heard that it could be worse cause will affect her teeth so I’m still not sure how and what to do with that. Hahaha. But it’s ok, slowly but surely will find a way. What I can suggest is you can try to pat, rock, sway, shush your baby to sleep but reduce it along the way. Eventually they will go to sleep on their own. Takes a little bit of time and patience. And also a strong heart and willingness to let your baby find his or her own comfort with little to no help from you. Which means doing the “cry it out” method if need be. Good luck! ❤️

Read more

well for me, when she was a newborn, she was co-sleeping with us cause we didnt have a cot at my parent's place. but when we're back at my in law's place, whenever we put her to sleep, we place her in the cot. and usually by 11pm, it will be lights out and use a small light. when during the day, we will open the windows and let the sun in, let her hear the birds or people talking. now, she sleeps through the night. she will sleep about 8 to 10 hours, then wake up for bath time, milk and then some play time. she will nap during day about 3 times, and during the night, after wash up, we will feed and then switch off the lights so it is dark. then she will go to sleep. we don't really have to rock her to sleep because sometimes she will fall asleep by herself. either by crying a little (while closing her eyes and then she will doze off right after) or sucking her pacifier. and once she is asleep, she will spit out her pacifier by herself. she does fuss around, but not all the time. i guess it is like a routine now.

Read more

Mine was a success . I only started when he was 10 months old . He would usually get cranky and fussy , because we did not have a routine before this . Babies will cry more when they are over tired . Then I thought I should start . I placed my baby in the cot at 8pm . Dim the light and switch on some white noise . I told him it's time to sleep . I also pat him and read him a bedtime story . He took almost 2 hours to toss and turn . But I did not gave up . I kept on patting him , turn off the lights and pretend that I was sleeping too (close my eyes) , and eventually he slept . I did this for 2 weeks . After 2 weeks , I try putting him on his cot and after reading him a book , he sleeps on his own . Now he sleeps 12 hours at night . The same thing goes for afternoon nap time . If he insist to sleep , I just lie down beside him and pretend I am sleeping too . It works ! U try , and update us

Read more
VIP Member

No personal experience yet as I'm still pregnant with my first baby. But I have joined a Facebook group called "Sleeping like an SGBaby" They share tips on sleep training babies and few other topics. In my case like I mentioned due to no personal experience I'm not able to understand everything they say now. May be you can check it out 😊

Read more

It didn't success for my son :(