How soon did your menses come? I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 5 months old son & my menses came off-guard. I read somewhere that menses do not usually come if we breastfeed exclusively. Please correct me if I am wrong.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Breastfeeding exclusively is linked to a birth control method known as Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) and only works if you meet all the criteria including round the clock, on demand feeding with specific time ranges (not more than 4 hours apart in the day and 6 hours apart at night). Breastfeeding can delay your menses for about 20 weeks, but most women find that their menses return much sooner than expected. http://sg.theasianparent.com/getting-pregnant-while-breastfeeding-contraception/

Read more

I was exclusively breastfeeding my no.1 and my mense returned when she was about 2.5 years old. It depends on individual's body. I have a friend whose has period after 2nd month although exclusively breastfeeding. Most woman will get mense after the baby has started solids food, as the frequency of latching has reduced.

Read more

Your period will typically return about six to eight weeks after you give birth, if you aren't breastfeeding. If you do breastfeed, the timing for a period to return can vary. Those who practice exclusive breastfeeding might not have a period the entire time they breastfeed.

Well I breastfeed on demand, baby doesn't sleep through the night and menses came at 17 weeks post partum. I'm the lucky 7%! :(

Post reply image

thanks

My menses came 1 month after I stopped bf.

My baby almost 9 months old and I still didnt get it

TapFluencer