How do you re-introduce your child to his grandmother? My MIL helped us raise our son until he turns one. They were very close and she was always the first one to be there when my son starts crying. Because of my job, we had to go back to my mom's place so they didn't see each other for over a year. They often do video calls but my son's quite aloof. It breaks my heart to see that scene each time. I couldn't help but feel guilty.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My friends who live overseas have the same worry as the grandparents in Singapore would have missed out alot on the child's growing years. They put extra effort into skype calls everyday for about an hour and talk to their kids about their grandparents and other family members on a daily basis. They would also try to make the trip back to Singapore once a year or if they can't, they will fly the grandparents over. Have photos of your kids and their grandparents together in the bedroom and pretty much around the house. Tell stories about their grandparents or even your childhood stories to help your child get a sense of his grandma and grandma. If you live abroad, involve your child in sending birthday cards, letters, postcards or gifts to your parents or in-laws. And if your parents or in-laws send over presents for your kids, make sure they personally thank them either via phone call or video call. You need to work hard and be consistent in maintaining relationships. It's already hard enough for us adults to keep in touch, imagine how it will be for kids.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks mommy! He knows and remembers his grandma but maybe we, both sides, should really try harder. I like the idea of displaying their photos in the room. He usually just watch their videos on mobile/computer.

Talk about ur mil all the time. Try to arrange for mealtime once a month if possible. Sometimes get them items and say it's mil who bought it. Allow them to have a connection even they are not physically together

Have pictures, talk to him more often about his grand mother. Spend time. Try to read story books and get him to relate. Try to allocate time for a trip yearly.