How much do you give an upper Primary school kid on a daily basis?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Upper primary would normally eat 2 meals in school and have about 2 drinks other than his usual plain water. It should come up to be about $4 every day. I will choose to give $30, slightly more than the amount estimated to be spent so that my child will know what it feels like to be tempted to spend the extra, and what it feels like to be able to control her desires. I will choose to let her manage her own money (guide her along the way) and encourage her to save. At the end of a term she will be rewarded by her own money to pick a gift for herself.

Read more
VIP Member

You can visit his school canteen and check the prices for food. I would give my child JUST enough for food and drinks and that's if I don't pack a lunch box and eliminate pocket money in the first place. Children of that age tend to spend frivolously, so I would suggest limiting it to about $5 or less a day and check on his savings.

Read more

I make sure that my DS (sec1) has 5 $ minimum in his wallet, but normally he spends 2-3 $ daily and I top up every day to 5$.If he goes to park or movie with friends once in a while, I give the expense + 10$ for food

My brother gives his sons $10 a week. But they have to compulsorily out away $5 away in a piggy bank to be opened at the end of the year. :) he is trying to teach them about savings ;)

I think $15 a week is great. They go to school 5 days a week so the rest can be placed into savings

thanks