How to manage being partial to siblings in certain situations? How does it effect kids psychology?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is often v hard to be v partial at least for my case. I have 2 young toddlers and both need attention from me. It can be very damaging for the other child or children if they are scolded or reprimanded without knowing what went wrong and why are they being scolded. To them, we are everything. They are always so eager to please us and doing things that make us happy because they want that attention and love from us. I will always sit them down and tell them that it is wrong to snatch toys or to hit. They need to internalise before punishment sets in.

Read more

I came across this article which I think is interesting: http://www.positiveparentingsolutions.com/parenting/kids-fighting This is pertaining to resolving sibling "fights". My main take from the article is for the parent to "stay out of it" and instead, act as the mediator. Encourage or facilitate the process for the siblings to problem solve and come to resolution. I also thought the suggestion of "putting the children in the same boat" as an interesting way to remain partial. Worth a read I think. :)

Read more

As parents we must be conscious of the fact that being partial can hurt the feelings of the other child/children and make the child feel unloved and rejected. This can affect the child as the child may feel that he/she is not good enough.