How long is confinement ? Is it 28, 30 or 31 days?Is it on day 31 we can start blow fan or need wait

How long is confinement ? Is it 28, 30 or 31 days?Is it on day 31 we can start blow fan go out or need wait? Does it count from the day we give birth in hospital ? Aka my give birth date is 6 Apr, baby full month is 6 May. Does full month mean I'm free to blow fan and go and wash hair everyday from 6 may onwards?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I honestly feel like modern mums should lax a little when it comes to confinement "rules". These rules were created many years ago when technology wasn't like today. Also, the living condition and the climate is very different. What we have to understand is the reason for these rules. Most of it is so that "wind" don't get inside our body. They ask not to shower because in the olden days, there's no water heater. Showering would mean cold water and possibly a trip to the well. Kampong house is also much much cooler. I showered the moment I got home from the hospital and everyday after that. Just do it with warm water and maybe in the late afternoon before the weather cools down. They ask not to go out of the house but we have to bring baby for jaundice check (??) Also, in the olden days, houses have staircases so getting out of the house may post risks. Some older people even say don't drink a lot of water (!!!!!!) A total red flag to me because hello?? hydration very important for breastfeeding/recovering/ relieving of water retention/ etc etc etc. so just think for yourself la hor.

Read more
VIP Member

I did 28 days counting from discharge day (day 4 postpartum). main thing is don't touch cold water or even room temperature water , best is to only touch warm water. you can keep a flask of hot water in the toilet to mix to warm water. but please keep hygiene and bathe daily! can use those herbal warm baths and dry your hair & body thoroughly. I was perspiring profusely lol and sat under fan for my #2. but I avoided cold water at all cost and was wearing room slippers to keep my feet warm. attire wise was sleeveless top and shorts lol. I can't sleep in AC room cos of my sinus. I recently went to check tcm, my body constitution is okay, they say my womb is warm which is good for future childbirth, maybe cos my confinement was done well lol.

Read more

i did mine for almost 40 days. i started blowing fan only after 28 days, i counted from the day i discharged from hospital. i showered the next day after birth, my gynae told me to do so hahaha then i showered everyday with herbal til end of confinement. washed my hair once a week during confinement as my arms were too tired to handle hair dryer🤣🤣wore long sleeves, long pants & socks for the 1st week and develop heat rashes lol think too warm so changed to short sleeves from 2nd week onwards, the rest remain. throughout my confinement i do it w/o ac.

Read more

probably up to you oh~ I did it as much as until my body can't tahan (with food) --- more lax on bathing without the herbs after 30 days. IF its really affecting your mental health, then i would really suggest to lax and close a bit of eye.

TapFluencer

I did mine for 28 days. I did wash my hair with herbal bath and also blew aircon while i slept. however, i was on long pants and wore a short sleeves shirt. Most importantly, it is to wear an indoor slipper/shoes.

I regret not doing it properly. I touch cold water then my hand super pain and everywhere also pain. now it's my 2nd pregnancy, really suffer alot. 😢 so pls do it properly. maybe 30 days is fine

yes for the 6 apr and 6 may question. confinement differs based on personal preference. your blow fan practice also is based on personal preference, which u believe in. typically 28-30 days.

I just counted 30 days. I still wash my hair everyday other than the first 3 days. I still switched on the fan but avoided blowing directly at me.

I think 28 days is minimum.i did not blow fan but already washed hair during confinement too hot and sticky..

TapFluencer

my confinement nannys only 28 days