How do you inculcate the habits of sharing and caring in your child?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If your child is too possessive about his things and refuses to share you can begin by having a set meal time. Now, you will wonder how would that help! Well! At dinner table, the kid learns that the family is sharing the same food. Even the yummiest of things are not eaten alone but shared. This way, he is introduced to what sharing means. Secondly, you can do role-playing. This is quite repetitive in my personal world because I practically teach my child most of the things this way. You become her and make her see how she behaves in a particular situation. And when she sees how she behaves, she realises that it was wrong and she should correct herself. Thirdly, you can have group activities once in a while at home, where you can call your child's friends and intentionally keep fewer things as compared to the number of kids. Say, if they are painting, keep less paints, so they share each other's paints. Never force your kid to share. Instead of forcing you will have to talk to your child and make him understand why to share. Give him examples that if same behaviour is met by him at the hands of his friends how would he feel! Give him time to absorb things and correct himself. Do not expect him to change overnight and if he is not a kid who likes to share. Site examples of kids on the streets and tell him how happy a little toy of his will make them. Or how sharing your food will comfort them when they have to sleep without a roof. This is real life, introduce him to it. http://www.shemrock.com/blogs/develop-sharing-habits-children/

Read more