How do I teach my child about bullies in school and how to deal with them politely?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Avantika, It's good to educate children about bullies so that they become aware if they or their classmates are being bullied. If it effects the child's sense of safety, self-esteem and self-worth, then the child needs to know that this is inappropriate behavior and they need to speak to a parent/adult who is willing to listen to them and investigate the situation. Always encourage the child that if they have anything that bothers them, they can always come to you and talk to you about it.

Read more

I have faced this with my son too. I told him to ignore them initially. If it continues then to warm them that it is not appreciated. Finally if the bullying doesn't stop your child should approach you for help. You have to make them understand that there are all sorts of people in the world so they need to learn to stand up for themselves. At the same time thet can count ob you to stand by them in the process. Your support will make them stronger.

Read more

I recently watched (over and over again) Michelle Obama's speech at the DNC and she talked about dealing with big bullies. This quote is apt and I hope everyone will remember this when they have to deal with bullies: "... how we explain that when someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is, when they go low, we go high."

Read more

For me, I will share with my child that bullies are people who have problems themselves and they take it out on others to make themselves feel good. The bullies need help themselves but don't know how to ask for help. So I will educate my child to help these bullies by telling a trusted adult on their actions and how to stop them from making more mistakes.

Read more