How do I stop my child from hitting other kids?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Rajan , Hitting may be 1 of the normal developmental stage of childhood and most children will need to be taught not to hit. Small kids uses biting or hitting to explore the world around them. We can try to find out why they hit and the reason for causing it for toddlers. Encourage them to express out and tell explain to them that it is normal to get angry but hitting is a no no behaviour. Can share with them some methods to solve it such as walk away or take deep breath etc Can try to read some role model books so that the kids can learn the right ways to handle tough situation. Let's learn together and create a better environment for our children :) We can find out the reason why they hit others.

Read more
7y ago

Thanks for the great inputs :)

Many toddlers hit when they want something, are impulsive and do not know how else they can get something they want, i.e. by asking for it or by 'using their words'. If you see a pattern when he will likely hit, pre-emptively provide him with the words/ phrases that he has to use to get what he wants or to say what he does not want. In other words, provide him with a more acceptable way to achieve his aim (using words) rather than by using physical action. Praise him if he 'uses his words'.

Read more

"Scare" your child against the negative behavior. I remember how my late grandma would tell us that if we did bad things, the police would take us away. This is a stretch but technically, it is true. In the future, if the negative action continues when he is older, he can get into trouble with the authorities. Also, you can try reverse psychology. Ask him how he would feel if someone were to hit him. He shouldn't do on to others what he does not want done to him.

Read more

I will give him negative reinforcement if he hurts others. I will remove things that he likes or must have if he hurts others. This will make him stop n think whenever he wants to hit. I will also design a reward card system. He will get something he rarely gets and really likes for eg a toy, if he can control himself by not hitting for 3 days (start small and achievable). Then prolonged the reward. This usually works for young children.

Read more

Have to be consistent and tell him not to hit. I'll tell him instantly that it's not right to hit and explain to him why.

if talking is not working anymore, start give punishment