How do I potty train my 20 months toddler? Whenever I place her on the potty, she'll start screaming and wailing & grabbing my neck tightly. :(

26 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Let her watch and learn, toddlers learn by imitation, and watching you use the bathroom is a natural first step. Buy the right equipment. Most experts advise buying a child-size potty, which your toddler can feel is her own and which will also feel more secure to her than a full-size toilet. (Many children fear falling into the toilet, and their anxiety can interfere with potty training.) Bathrooms can be a dangerous place for curious toddlers so always supervise her when she's using the toilet. Help your child get comfortable with the potty , early in the process, your child needs to get used to the idea of using the potty. Start by letting her know that the potty chair is her very own. You can personalize it by writing her name on it or letting her decorate it with stickers. Then have her try sitting on it with her clothes on. After she's practiced this way for a week or so, you can suggest she try it with her pants down. If she seems at all resistant, avoid the temptation to pressure her. That will only set up a power struggle that could derail the entire process. If at first she doesn't succeed, try again as with any other skill, the more she uses the potty, the better she'll be at it. But there are some things you can do to make it easier for her. Dress your child in loose-fitting clothes that she can easily take off herself, or buy panties a size too big. If she still has trouble with the concept, don't overreact or punish. Nothing can disrupt potty training faster than making a child feel bad for having an accident. Accidents are normal and part of the process

Read more

I think your girl may not be ready for potty training yet. Most parents start the training when their children are between two years and three yearsold.  But there's no official age, and you needn't potty train your toddler at all if you don't want to. Your child may copy others without needing any instructions, as long as you make it clear to her what she has to do, and where she must do it. You shouldn't force your child to use a pottyif she doesn't want to, or if she is not ready to start.  A child under two years cannot control when they wee and poo. The muscles that control their bladder and rectum aren't mature until they reach about 18 months to two years. That's why waiting for signs that they are ready is the key to success.

Read more

I would wait a little while more before I try again. Her reaction does suggest that she might not be emotionally ready to go diaper-less. At 20 months, it really isn't critical that she is fully toilet trained now. Try reading books related to potty training, watching videos etc. if she is attending school, have a talk with the teachers to see how you can work out a partnership to make this work. Toilet training is a huge huge change and if you force her into it before she is ready, it could have a negative impact on her and might even have adverse effects like having a phobia of going to the toilet.. Go slow

Read more
8y ago

Thank you mummy

Just have the potty around. If they are ready they will sit there. As long as do not force them it's fine. My boy poo at less than 1 yr old in the potty. But he is only ready recently. He is 2yrs 7 mths. I will he is ready but at the same time he can't go alone when we are out. It's quite tedious for me. I personally don't encourage the ask every 15 min method. I prefer him to feel the urge to go and then even if there are accidents. I can just tell him go earlier next time.

Read more
VIP Member

Can your child communicate your ideas well now? Potty train should be train at the comfort of your child. Some child might take a shorter time while some might take a longer time. You can start of with borrowing potty training story book at a library to explain to your child what is potty training. And slowly introduce the potty to your child. If she resist it's ok to stop for a few days & continue trying later until she's ready to be potty train

Read more

slowly. when a child is ready. he or she will automatic be comfortable with doing their business in the potty. My 1st child is potty trained at 2 yo. my #2 is potty trained at 3 yo. maybe you can go library to borrow some cartoon story books on potty training to read to her . or bring the potty to the toilet n u show her. may not be doing your business. Hehe. just action to show her u do it on the toilet bowl :) Jia you.

Read more

Relax mummy..I think she might be scared of the potty. My girl is now 29month but we practice on not wearing diapes oni a short after ber cc.My girl prefer tolietbowl then the potty so we bought a kid tolietseat so that she can sit on top. We let her choose the potty she likes (a shorter version) and on off bring her over and seat . It really take times ,effort and lots of patience. Take your time mummy :)

Read more

I guess she's still not ready yet! Do not force her I would suggest. Some kids just prefer it later and it's fine. They would slowly be potty train when they are ready. My boy potty trained himself at 3.5 years old and it was a breeze for me and my Wife. No forcing and no stress. He just train to himself and told us he does not need diaper anymore. So give your girl sometime. Be positive!

Read more
8y ago

My relative's children also became fully potty trained around 3-4. She also said it was so easy by then. I tried to do it with mine at 24mo when my neighbour's maid managed to train the 21mo in 3 days! Made her sit on the toilet bowl every hour. But it didn't work with my girl. She was dying to get off so nvm. No rush.

I have 4 kids and when it comes to potty training I realise when they r ready they are ready . There is no point forcing it or placing her at the potty every day . The only time you need to stay potty training is when most of her peers are off diapers and she still show no interest taking off the diapers . Only then you should have "parent intervention"

Read more

Very importantly U don't force her. She will not like it and eventually it don't work on her. Talk to her slowly. In fact, you can bring her to the shop to buy a potty that she likes so that it can encourages her to go there often. You can share and educate her at the same time. My gal was fully potty train at ard 18 mths old.

Read more