How do I know if I need to buy a walker already for my baby? He is now 6 months old.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

dear mommy, at about 6 months of age, your baby will be able to start getting better control of his feet and will also progress with fine as well as gross motor skills. i would suggest you avoid buying a walker, as many doctors and even parents feel that it delays a baby's natural response to walking. instead, help your baby get up on his own by holding on to you and other things around. encourage him to move ahead by showing him interesting things such as toys that are just out of reach, or holding out your hands to him maybe?

Read more

you can easily avoid buying a walker. i did it for my first baby but didn't use one for the second one and it was absolutely fine. by around this age, your baby will start to take support and try and get up and move. let your baby do it naturally, as it will also improve your baby's grip on the floor and the ability to walk.

Read more

I think you have to observe the development of your child. If he can already sit up on his own and can stand (without his knees immediately buckling) when you hold him up, he would be ready for a walker. Choose one that would be comfortable for him sitting down as it is comfortable standing up.

Everyone develops differently; some babies can already utilize a walker at 6 months, while others take longer. It all depends on your baby, and whether he is already showing signs of improved motor skills.

A walker is not a need. It is up to your preference. Age is merely a number and the developmental notes are a guide.

No need. Soon he will be cruising on his own.