How to handle a situation where you are angry at your child?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I reckon, when you're angry -- be it at an adult or child -- you need to stop, take a deep breath and gather yourself. If you just let the anger ride, you might end up saying something you're not supposed to and regret much later. For me, not only will I stop to take a deep breath, I'd walk away and leave the room if possible.

Read more

Hi When you are angry at your child be aware that the words you tell the child when in anger are remembered by the child's subconscious mind for life. Do pause and take a few deep breaths and calm yourself down first and understand that he/she is just a child. Words spoken in anger can affect the child's self-esteem.

Read more
VIP Member

Parents can turn a meltdown into a teaching moment by involving kids in finding solutions. wait for a calm moment and state the rule the child violated. Then give the child a choice about how to prevent the misbehavior from happening again. Inviting a child to suggest solutions teaches problem-solving skills.

Read more
VIP Member

It depends on what situation and how angry i am. If i am at the peak of raging, i will walk away to cool myself down so i can think proper and right