Teaching the alphabets at what age?

How early in life do you start teaching your child the alphabet?

Teaching the alphabets at what age?
16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Samantha different parents do it at different times, but i started playing with them with the alphabet even before they were a year old. by 1 year my babies could point out a lot of letters when asked. i didn't sit down with them with a list of the letters though, definitely not in an A to Z format. instead, i would point it out and say it out loud as and what letter i saw. gradually it became more of a play thing for them

Read more

Teaching the alphabet is foundational for reading and writing. you can start teaching your child the alphabet when he's around 2 — but don't expect full mastery for some time. Here’s what a preschooler should know before Kindergarten: - Recite/sing the alphabetIdentify uppercase letters - Identify lowercase letters - Match uppercase letters to lowercase letters - Identify the sounds each letter makes

Read more

18mo. It only happened when he started showing interest in O and keep identify O everywhere. However, I don't intentionally drill, only when he express interest in letters he see ard us, I 'll share what's the alphabet as i feel that the schs will most certainly teach abcs in future (part of their kpi isn't it haha). Would very much prefer fun song music and books for now

Read more

It's never too early. I seldom limit my child's ability to learn based on age. If I see the alphabet I tell her what it is and talk to her about the things that start with the letter G for example. There are also surely toys you have in your home that has the alphabet, or the foam mat? I start little by little just taking it like casual conversations.

Read more

Never too early but instead of simply remembering them by seeing/listening to them everyday, you could start iterating to them phonetically. For example, tell them that today we'll come up with words that start with the 'mmm' sound. That certainly puts some logic behind why an Apple starts with an A and not a P.

Read more

It is not too worry to teach our child for the alphabet . It is more important to show our child to know books, stories, and songs I was encouraged my son to talk about the books and stories that I was talk to him when night. From around 15-18 mths if think is ready .We can teach alphabet to them.

Read more
VIP Member

My girl just turned 3 months old, and we are already teaching her the alphabet by singing the ABC song to her, pointing out letters. You will be surprised by how much they understand.

I think that is never too early try to make it fun and not a duty or work. I sing to my 6 months daughter the alphabet song and she falls asleep after 5 minutes 😂

I started at one (probably because I was excited)! But I would suggest introducing ABCs when a child is two. That's when he/she will be able to identify most letters.

It's never too early In fact it maybe a good thing to start reading to them even when you are pregnant. Always keep communicating with them openly