teach your kids to do household chores

How early do you teach your kids to do household chores?

40 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This list is only meant as a guide and reflects the types of chores that many children in these age ranges are capable of completing Ages 2 and 3 Personal chores Assist in making their beds Pick up playthings with your supervision Family chores Take their dirty laundry to the laundry basket Fill a pet's water and food bowls (with supervision) Help a parent clean up spills and dirt Dust Ages 4 and 5 Note: This age can be trained to use a family chore chart. Personal chores Get dressed with minimal parental help Make their bed with minimal parental help Bring their things from the car to the house Family chores Set the table with supervision Clear the table with supervision Help a parent prepare food Help a parent carry in the lighter groceries Match socks in the laundry Answer the phone with parental assistance Be responsible for a pet's food and water bowl Hang up towels in the bathroom Clean floors with a dry mop Ages 6 and 7 Note: This age can be supervised to use a family chore chart. Personal chores Make their bed every day Brush teeth Comb hair Choose the day's outfit and get dressed Write thank you notes with supervision Family chores Be responsible for a pet's food, water and exercise Vacuum individual rooms Wet mop individual rooms Fold laundry with supervision Put their laundry in their drawers and closets Put away dishes from the dishwasher Help prepare food with supervision Empty indoor trash cans Answer the phone with supervision Ages 8 to 11 Note: This age benefits from using a family chore chart. Personal chores Take care of personal hygiene Keep bedroom clean Be responsible for homework Be responsible for belongings Write thank you notes for gifts Wake up using an alarm clock Family chores Wash dishes Wash the family car with supervision Prepare a few easy meals on their own Clean the bathroom with supervision Rake leaves Learn to use the washer and dryer Put all laundry away with supervision Take the trash can to the curb for pick up Test smoke alarms once a month with supervision Screen phone calls using caller ID and answer when appropriate

Read more

My son started happily imitating me on his own when he was about 12 months so that was when I knew he was interested! So i slowly showed him how i do simple chores and he would do it too - like wiping the tables, putting his dirty clothes into the laundry basket, keeping his own toys etc etc. He is now 18 months and is able to do all that although sometimes not thoroughly. I guess he develop some motor skills quite early as i was a housewife and i do chores every single day with him around me all the time - so maybe that spiked his abilities. For example - if i sort out the laundry or fold clothes or organize the cabinets/wardrobes, i will get him to sit beside me so that he could see whatever I'm doing. He always get his hands on and things get messy again but i will just be patient and kept telling him what to do. This is an image (actually from a video) of him at 12 months old trying to mop my auntie's kitchen haha! :)

Read more
Post reply image

For me, I started small - when she could understand me. When she was perhaps 3, it was a simple wipe after you spill something and keeping back her toys after playing. When she was older, she got curious with my vacuum and I took advantage of it and let her vacuum everywhere around the house and she loved it! We used Dyson so it was able to change to different modes/settings. She's 7 now takes instructions better so she helps out with whatever house chores I have.

Read more

I agree with starting as early as possible. Children start showing interest in what the adults are doing from young. Once your child develops the motor coordination, you can get him/her to help set the dining table, help clearing the plates. Other chores like sweeping (with a small hand brush), wiping surfaces, folding clothes are all fun activities for them to do with their parents. Win-win for all! ;p

Read more

When my son was 1.5 years old, I started to train him to throw wrappers in the garbage bin after eating and asked him to get things for me to see if he's okay following instructions. I'm so proud he's able to easily follow what I'd tell him to do. Now, he's 3 years old and he volunteers to wash the dishes and mop the floor haha He enjoys doing stuff that his dad and I are doing in the household.

Read more

When he turned 3.He was curious whenever I clean the house so I let him participate.He’s 4 now,he helps me take the garbage out and he helps me clean and take the dead leaves in the backyard.He also feeds our pond fishes and helps me cleaning the pond every week.I let him in charge of watering my potted plants in the garden (of course all of these had to be supervised at all times)

Read more

i started my elder one on household chores when she was about 7, but for the younger one i started her earlier, at about 3 :) the best thing is that children actually love doing a lot of simple house chores such as sweeping, watering the plants, keeping things back in place and so on, so it is always good to start them early and build it in their routine.

Read more

My youngest daughter is 6 year old and she was doing little things since she was 4. For example, she would clean up after playing and keep her toys in place. Now, at 6, she helps in her sweet way to make the bed and can even make a bread jam for herself. So, at times when I am not feeling quite well, she manages to make a jab toast for herself.

Read more

i gave some small responsibilities to my 6 year old which included watering plants and giving grains to birds at regular times in the day. as she grew up, she is supposed to clean out her cupboards once a week and also make sure that her things are generally in place. these are the basics i started her off with.

Read more

I started with the most basic tasks. When my child was just about 2 years old, I taught him not to leave his toys after playing and when he's eating something, I would always ask him to throw the left overs and wrappers in the trash bin. He's been doing these things na din until now.