How do you clean your loved one's tongues? I tried wetting a hanky and then put in into his mouth to rub it, however he always closes his mouth or bite my finger making me kind of hard to rub them (fixed and limited area). Someone suggested me to use oral/dental wipes. I found the price kind of over budget. But does it help? If so, what brands do you recommend?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I use sterile gauze and dab with cool boiled water. I would suggest you do it when baby is more alert and happy. Talk to him telling him you are going to clean his mouth and please open the mouth. Repeat this several times. You will be surprised that baby does understand. If the mouth is closed, you can try to wait for baby to open mouth and try again.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

You could also try a piece of sterile gauze or an infant tongue/tooth brush to clean their tongues. I use a wet handkerchief and try to wipe her tongue and gums. She does chomp down on my fingers, but I just wait for her to open her mouth again before cleaning it. The infant tongue brush can be found in Tom and Stefanie or Kiddy Palace.

Read more
Post reply image
Super Mum

Talk to your baby and cradle hold him in 1 arm and clean his mouth using a wet gauze with the other hand. In this way, baby will feel the sense of security and affection. Put your finger on baby's lip, as soon as he open his mouth, scrape gently on his tongue.

Super Mum

It is natural for your baby to bite your finger. Wrap the gauze, cotton or cloth around your finger and damp it with water. Gently put your finger inside your baby's mouth. Wipe the upper and then the lower gum pad once.

Super Mum

When they were younger without teeth, I used nuk oral wipes. U can use sterile gauze with boiled cool water instead. When they have teeth, I used pigeon baby toothbrush with boiled cool water.

VIP Member

I agreed with what Diana Lai suggested. I’ve been doing the same for my babies

VIP Member

There’s those rubbery brush that you can wear on your finger

thanks

Exactly what Diana Lai suggested.